Thursday, February 12, 2015

Fitness - Day 0: Three Plans

Morning weight: 268.2 lbs
Total loss: -0 lbs

As I wrote last time, I'm in a much better place personally than I had been.  For the moment, I'm not operating from a place of fear and panic.  This is key.  When I operate from such a place, I can't address fitness issues realistically.  Fear leads to boom-and-bust cycles, where I try to solve all my problems immediately, burn out, and fall down.




These issues are dealt with only for the moment, though.  It's a bit like playing whack-a-mole - specific fear and panic will continue to arise, and I will have to be aware of when it's controlling me and deal with it.

My plan going forward will be similar to what I put forth last, with some personalized adjustments.

I'll level up in three different areas: Nerd Fitness Nutrition, the Bodyweight Brigade, and the Scout class.

The primary difference from my last proposal comes in the pacing.  There's no need to set a timeline in advance for how quickly I'll move from one level to the next.  My goal is to lose weight and get healthier, and even the smallest steps in that direction will be helpful.   When I start to intentionally combine those small steps, I believe things will change significantly.

---

Nerd Fitness Nutrition - First Steps

Starting at Nutrition Level 2: "Awareness and Tracking."  Elements of this level include:

-Don't eat anything differently, but keep aware of what I eat.
-Know what carbs, fat, and proteins are.
-Focus on eating LESS food.

Once I feel my progress at this level has plateaued, I'll transition to Nutrition Level 3.

---

Bodyweight Brigade - First Steps

A complete recruit workout includes three sets of 10 push-ups, 15 squats, 10 inverted rows, 20 lunges, and 15 second planks, complete with a warm-up and cool-down.  

I know I'm not there yet.  Starting out, I'll likely be able to do a partial version of a single set.  That's fine.  My first goal is to work towards completing a full recruit workout by trying this once per week, gradually increasing my load.  I know, once isn't that much, but I believe I'll see progress when I combine this with my Scout workout and, most of all, with my nutrition.

---

Scout Class - First Steps

This class is all about movement.  Running, biking, swimming.  But to start, I'll focus on walking.  I have loved walking in the past, it's easy to do, and I have all kinds of podcasts and music to keep me company.  For the first month, my goal is to go for an intentional walk - not just walking from the parking lot and counting it - about 1-2 days per week.

---

It's a plan.  It's a start.