Saturday, March 26, 2016

FFVIII – Part 77: World on Lockdown

Summary: Short session where I set foot into Ultimecia Castle, savor the music, and then unsuccessfully try exploring this new time-compressed world.


Ultimecia Castle

-I first went back through the gate to the chain, walked a bit forward, and found myself at the castle. It’s called “Ultimecia Castle.” It has some wonderful organ music that really builds up the Castlevania theme. First step is to decide whether I HAVE to go anywhere else. (Like, whether the castle is locked.)

-Nope! I can progress. It looks to be a party split.

-Walked into the castle, and the door cracked open and mist rolled and I’m giggling with excitement and glee.




-The entrance hall doesn’t disabuse me of the notion that in Ultimecia’s future there are Hammer horror films aplenty.

-I ended up sitting here for about 5 minutes in awe at this music. It’s incredible. Spooky and exciting and adventurous and intense and joyful and incredible.

-Power is sealed, huh? Everything.



Save, magic, GF, the works. I’ll guess that I can work my way room by room and unlock stuff, or even perhaps leave it all sealed for challenge mode. (Not this time.)

-But all that’s getting ahead of myself. This feels like final dungeon territory, and there’s a whole world I want to explore one last time. (sings out “Ultimecia’s going ho-oo-ooome…”)

In FF3 and FF5, when the various maps combined new stuff opened up. I want to see that.

-I leave. I’ll be back here.

-First tried leaving the Structure Formerly Known as Edea’s House, but the door seems to be closed. I’m guessing I no longer have the Ragnarok in this world. Ok. Will go through the three portals, one by one.



---

Galbadia

-Behind door #1 of those portals is Galbadia – Wiburn Hill.

-The place I thought was Deling City is gone.

-Something funky is up at the D-District Prison. Surrounded by a glow.

-Can’t enter. Tried using Solomon Ring, but no luck. Something to the south is surrounded by the same.



-Two possibilities jump out to me.

#1) I need to break the seals inside Ultimecia Castle to roam the world.
#2) I need to find the Ragnarok to fly over the seals.

-Wandering time. Thank goodness for Enc-None.

-Timber is sealed off too.

-No answer at Obel Lake. The shadow is gone.

-I was wrong in my geography. Some other city is gone. Deling City is here, sealed off.

-Back to Ultimecia Castle and into door #2.

---

Centra

-The crater is still here. I was hoping time compression would fill in the part of Centra that got cratered, but no.

-Into the Centra Ruins. Still ruins. I even tried using the Chef’s Knife since this is Tonberryland. No luck.

-Ok, getting the distinct impression that I’m supposed to go to Ultimecia Castle first. One last door to explore.

---

Esthar – Forests

-This is the only part of the world I hadn’t visited yet.

-Chocobo forest here. Hey, it’s the “Chocobo Holy Ground” forest!



-The six mother chocobos are in a circle here. There’s no chicobo mini-game, and nothing happens. I’m not surprised. I’ll bet this place would activate somehow if I had solved the Forest of Solitude. Sad face.

-Back to the castle and save.

---

Next time: exploring the castle.