Wednesday, March 30, 2016

FFVIII – Part 80: Ultimate Failure

Summary: I fight Ultimecia. A lot. It doesn’t go well. Progress coupled with the abyss of frustration and defeat.


Ultimecia Castle - Master Room

-There she sits. Atop a high, golden pedestal, in all her badass sorceress gear.

-Starts just by growling “SeeD… SeeD… SeeD, SeeD, SeeD!!!” at us. I get her frustration. We came across time and space for this.

-They replaced the c’s in all her words with k’s.



“Kurse” instead of “curse,” for instance. I don’t know how that changes my pronunciations of any of those words, but whatever.

-The price for our “meddling is death beyond death.” She’ll send us to an eternal servitude dimension if we lose. So let’s win!

-Oh, son of a… she’s gonna fight each party, right? I have all my GFs stacked on one.


Sweet wings!

-This first form is very weak against bio.

-I was wrong! It’s like the Kefka fight. Irvine died (no GF juctions, whops lol), and got “absorbed into time.” Rinoa swapped in.

-Phase 2. She’s summoning her own GF.



Bahamut?



-Looks like. And he’s got a sweet beard. Go Baha!

-wait. That’s not Bahamut.



Griever? Like, Squall’s ring?

[Later edit, and non-rhetorical question for y’all: does this mean that if I had named his ring differently back in the attack on Galbadia Garden, this terrifying monster here, the paragon of all power, would be named Mister Fluffykins? ]

-Griever absorbs bio.

-He one-shots us with “Shockwave Pulsar.”



Guess we have to take him out before he reaches that point.

-Round two. So she chooses the three to fight semi-randomly I guess.

-Got to Griever again. Hammering with Ifrit and Shiva.

-The ground is quaking… ah crap, got to Shockwave Pulsar.

-I LIVE???

-Barely healed up. GFs again.

-Shockwave Pulsar #2…. Mostly dead, but Zell saves us with a Phoenix Pinion.

-YES! Beat Griever. Barely. No way I’ll survive Ultimecia’s next form.

-oh shit, her next form is “junction[ing] herself onto Griever.”




-haha, she uses “Great Attractor” to fling a bunch of PLANETS at us.





After a few more Attractors, that’s it.

---

Regroup

-My main problem that last fight was having only three good party members, only two of which were up at any time. Gotta spread things out, liquidate some of my cards if necessary, really make EVERY party member viable.

-Adjusted my GFs a TON. Still a lot more I can do, but will try again. New strategy: protect the Squall. Keep him healed, keep him Shell’d, and rely on his 9999 Darksides. Oh, and pray that the Griever/Ultimecia junction is the final form. XD

-Yeah, wiped out. Really disliking the random-party element of this fight. I’ve gotten by this whole game with basically three characters at a time, and with my junctions spread out I’m super weak. Hardly any HP on most of my characters.

-what is happening. I had a terrible start this next attempt, eventually only squall is left, and he’s basically SOLOING her? I don’t have enough Elixirs to keep this up, but he knocked off half of the junctioned Ultimecia/Griever’s body.



-Then lost. She just started casting too fast for Squall to keep up. This is without a doubt one of the toughest final bosses I’ve had to deal with in FF.

-New strategy: condense. I don’t have nearly enough GF or magic to junction to make six characters powerful.

-Next attempt. Got to the fourth phase, and doing… sort of okayish. Hanging in there.

Ocome on come on ajincomeo on

AHHAJKLHJKLHFALHH YESSSSSSSSSSS FUCKING YES



SWEET LORD I DID IT

HOURS ON HER, HOURS ADJUSTING TO EACH PHASE, AND FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh m god you have no idea how relieved and happy I am I am dancing and idec

Wait

No. please say that isn’t another form.



No.

God no. I’m exhausted. Mentally and physically exhausted.



The fight goes fine for a while. She uses Hell's Judgment to knock me down to 1 hp and hurts us a bit, we heal up a bit and hurt her back, then she does “Apocalypse” and I get obliterated and want to weep.



One more try, then bed.

-Almost. God. Almost.

She was giving this whole big speech about time, about holding onto identity and oneself. Reminiscent of the Creator’s dying words in FFIV:TAY.


So close…

But mid-speech, she cast apocalypse and game over.


…yet so far.

-Really close to just giving up and calling it quits tbh. 5-6 hours is enough.

[Later edit: I was so amped up and terrified of having to do the fight over that I didn’t tab out to write my comments on this final form.

Short answer: I LOVE IT. One of my favorites in the series. More than most “final forms” (and yes, I believe fully that this is her last form. (#pleaseletitbeherlastform) Final Fantasy has a tendency of glomming a whole lot of random monsters together to make something that looks kind of awesome but lacks a certain coherence. Like, I much preferred Exdeath’s boss form (the tree) to Neo-Exdeath. The Creator in FFIV:TAY, and even Zeromus suffered a bit from this.

The faceless sorceress? Chilling. Absolutely chilling, and still CLEARLY a sorceress. I didn’t even notice until near the end of the fight that she had a humanoid body beneath her, upside down. The division between the sorceress power itself and the human beneath, with the sorceress now dominant.]

[Loved the music as well. I will have to give it a listen when my body ISN’T coursing with adrenaline later to truly appreciate it.]


---

The Next Morning

-I was in a bad mood last night. Kept throwing myself at a brick wall – albeit a brick wall that I got progressively closer to knocking down. The length of the fight was exhausting, I was running on fumes, and was not in a good headspace near the end for constructive thought.

Had a really tough time sleeping. Kept going over the fight in my mind.

I know what I can do to improve my chances against her. Feeling excited, hopeful.

---

Next time: Preparation for the rematch.