Monday, June 21, 2021

FFXIV – Part 251: Dalriada

Summary: The new 5.55 zone of Zadnor and the Dalriada raid. Gabranth’s plan. The liberation of Bozja.


---

A New Playing Field

This continues the quest from 5.45: http://coldrungaming.blogspot.com/2021/02/ffxiv-p...

-Imperial reinforcements lead me to the new Bozja zone of Zadnor.



-I wasn’t sure if this would be a new raid or a new zone, but it looks like a whole new zone. I hope I won’t have to grind up mettle ranks the way I had to back in the Bozjan Southern Front.

-lol nm. I just noticed that I have a “next rank” on my mettle, so yeah. New mettle to gain. [Later edit: it turned out to be super fast compared with the prior zone.]

-It’s a shattered, rocky mess due to the Fourth Umbral Calamity.

---

A Question of Resolve

-We’re progressing towards the Imperial mothership, the Dalriada, when Mikoto gets a vision of a future battle and her falling from an airship. A vision of her own death.



She’s handling it well, but still. That’s rough.

---

Reaching Out

-Most of the questing so far is just moving the plot along, helping set up new camps closer to our target, but there’s a cute little side thing about Mikoto having a maybe/maybe not crush on Cid. GO FOR IT.



-Scene change to the Imperials. Two head honchos from the last raid are discussing some upgrade they’ve been working on. Perhaps the centerpiece of this final raid.

---

Renewed Focus

-Not sure exactly what Gabranth’s plan is on the Dalriada. The suspicion is digging up some kind of relic.

-As we plot an air offensive against the Empire, Mikoto remembers her vision again.



Ugh. Would not wish foreseeing your own death on anyone.

-Maybe there’s a way around this – like, she’s falling, but maybe we can give her a parachute to make the fall not fatal?

-Scene switches to Misija in prison, then the Save the Queen sword itself bound up.

---

March of the Bloody Queen

-Time for the main assault. But the Dalriada is lifting off… are they already taking out the relic?



-This is the scene Mikoto foresaw. Our ship with her on it moves to intercept and blow an EMP to stop them, but some titanic weaponry blasts forth from the imperial warship. Is that whatever the relic is powering? 


-Our EMP stalls the warship. It crashes into our little airship, sending Mikoto flying.



AND HERE COMES FRAN WITH THE CATCH ON HER HOVERBIKE!

I figured something like that was coming, but I was expecting a parachute. Fran on a hoverbike is infinitely more badass.

-The scene switches to the imperial command, Lyon (the aptly-named beast dude) and Menenius. I like them both, at least as much as any current imperials.



But it’s weird that we haven’t seen Gabranth in any significant way. We’re still just dealing with the seconds-in-command, the subordinates doing their best to fulfill his wishes. They have an interesting relationship with each other. Different styles but mutual respect.

-Menenius was about to try going down in a blaze of glory to avoid the shameful “I failed” convo with Gabranth, but Lyon convinces him to avoid that route. He really cares for Menenius.

-OH SHIT WHAT’S THAT – WE SEE SOME EPIC-LOOKING ALLAGAN MONSTROSITY HERE THAT THEY UNCOVERED! It reminds me strongly of X-2’s Vegnagun.



-Then the stone again. It pulses and a staff attached to it glows and disappears…

…and reappears in front of Misija in her prison. She reaches out, grasps it, and disappears.



-Very cool fight! The voidsent version of Ultima Weapon at the end was awesome. I like the lore behind it, how it was used to house Diabolos.

Though my favorite part of this raid was the fight against Menenius and Lyon. I just love their partnership so much.I’m a bit sadthat the Power of Friendship wasn’t enough for them to overcome us.

-HEY THEY’RE STILL ALIVE!

-…for two seconds anyway. The still-kicking Diablo Armament rises again and blasts the shit out of Lyon.

-WAIT NO, POWER OF FRIENDSHIPPPP!!! Menenius stood in the laser’s way and took the blast full force. Lyon roars in grief and despair.



-I thought the Diablo Armament was on its last legs, but NOPE. It soars to the surface, preparing some apocalyptic meteor shenanigans.



HAHAHAHA YESSSS!!!! MISIJA, FULLY EMBODYING THE SPIRIT OF THE BOZJAN QUEEN NOW, CHARGES IN TO SAVE THE DAY AND CRASH INTO THE ARMAMENT



GOOOO GUNHILDR! And redemption for Misija.

-All that remains is the Blade of Gunnhildr, falling from the sky.

-…yet again, I’m proven immediately wrong. Misija is here. Though she does seem to be actually dying.

MISIJA: “I care not for forgiveness. Today… I fulfilled my duty… to the queen. Nothing more.”

I like this a lot better than if she did this as some overtly apologetic act. It honors her character arc. 


-She gives me a sword and requests I kill her as an act of justice.

Screw that. Just because her dying wish is to die doesn’t mean I have to accommodate her.



-…AND AGAIN I’m proven wrong. I thought she was going to die naturally, but Balsaljen takes the blade from me and is like “no worries bro I got this,” slicing her throat. Brutal.

-Later that night. We see the Bozjans celebrating, and probably starting to plot the specifics of independence. I like that some are doing the traditional FF celebration of squats.

-Interesting! Bajsaljen plans to base at least some of the new government on the IVth Legion’s doctrines. There was at least some support for it in Bozja, and it sounds like Gabranth did try incorporating some meritocratic principles.

---

Meanwhile, in Dalmasca…

-LYON SURVIVED! He reports to Noah van Gabranth.



GABRANTH: “Time is short, Lyon. My time is short.”
LYON: “So… it finally caught up with you. A damned shame.” A disease?

-Some troops bring two relics unearthed from beneath Bozja: a sword and an axe. Not sure what those are.

-Title card: Return of the Queen, Chapter the Fourth. Is there more coming???

-This is bizarre. The game provides field records, which have traditionally given some backstory and character depth.



But not the Noah van Gabranth field record. I mean, it does that too. It tells how charismatic and fair Noah was, which we’d heard.

But it also says that Lyon broke out of his prison and supposedly killed Noah, but probably not. “Noah’s” body was burned and maimed beyond recognition, so he’s 1000% alive still. The IVth Legion collapsed shortly thereafter. Their locally-born soldiers were readmitted to Bozja as citizens.

It’s not a BAD thing… I’m just so surprised such a juicy epilogue was relegated to some lore in the field notes.

And that’s Bozja! This was the first time I completed one of these areas. I liked it infinitely more than Eureka. The FATE/Critical Engagement loop was super fun, and the flavor of seeing all the different allies and enemies recur as great. Didn’t feel as grindy, beyond a brief window from rank 10-15.  

---

Random Stuff Around Eorzea

A modern Roegadyn:


The Mudpie minion:


Some great player names I’ve seen recently:

Gutsu Berserk
Detective Mittens
Wonder Bread
Crunk Juice
Skip Potion
Crash Landing
Pork Chops
Choobie Patootie
Caramel Macchiato
Lavender Chai
Doughnut Man
Booty Patrol
Evil Willow
Naga Sadow
Naan Believer
Crystal Sandwich

---

Next time: the final NieR raid.