Tuesday, December 18, 2018

FFXIII – Part 22: Jailbreak

Summary: Vanille’s memory. The free l’Cie lead an assault on the Palamecia. Chocobo goes for the eyes.

---

The Sanctum Skyfleet

-We’re ready to take off in a PSICOM vessel. What’s the plan? Just board the Palamecia and fight?

-The nascent big bro/little bro relationship between him and Snow feels surreal.

-Scene change to the Palamecia, where the Primarch sits on a throne. Nabaat by his side.



No idea whether the Primarch will end up with the real power or Nabaat.

-The Primarch sounds sadistic, psyched to see the execution.

---

The Palamecia

-We use a false code to dock our old PSICOM ship aboard the Palamecia.

-LOLOL AND IMMEDIATELY AN ALERT SOUNDS, we suck at stealth.


This place seems challenging for those with a fear of heights.

-Lightning is so acrobatic. I haven’t tired of seeing her flip up obstacles.

-I get that the others can keep up for gameplay reasons, but would’ve still been funny to see something like that part of FFIX where Freya and Zidane leapt up a building while Vivi and Quina just stumbled, and had to take the long way around.

-Perspective switch to Vanille, remembering the Fiendlord’s Keep.

-AH! Sazh deliberately missed himself.

-Though he’s not happy about it. “Why can’t I do it?! I got no reason to keep living. I can’t even kill you.”

-He weeps in despair.

-Nabaat arrives with her soldiers to capture Vanille and Sazh.

-The camera zooms in a lot on Nabaat’s breasts. Really, game?

-She taunts Sazh, saying they’ll make the crystallized Dajh into a Sanctum monument.



[Non-rhetorical question: what’s the name of that thing Nabaat holds? A switch?]

-Nabaat reminds me of a Mirror-verse version of Quistis from FFVIII.

-Back to the present.

SAZH: “I’m pathetic.”
VANILLE: “That’s my line.”

Lightning’s, Snow’s, and Hope’s too. Fang’s the only one who seems sort of comfortable with herself.

-Still, Vanille woke up. Maybe Dajh will too. I just hope he doesn’t then get saddled with another Focus.

-Vanille was chosen to fight Cocoon, hundreds of years ago. Had no idea she was that old.

-There’s a sort of technological and cultural stagnation in Pulse and Cocoon. Like, think how much tougher it would be for someone from 1700s New York to wake up in the early 2000s compared to Vanille’s experience.

OOH FLASHBACK! DAY 1! In the Pulse Vestige, in Bodhum.


-Vanille got a badass pose to be crystallized into.



-Hee, she got crystallized while naked. Clothes magically appear on her after waking up.

-She sees Fang on the ground. Fang wasn’t in a crystal in this memory.

VANILLE: “For me, just the thought of hurting people again – it was too much.” She lied to Fang about forgetting. What did she do? And how in the fresh hell did Fang get unbound from the fal’Cie?

-Scene change back to Vanille, Fang, and Snow. Still on the ship.

-Ruh oh. Code Green alerts everyone on the ship to our invasion. I thought they already knew as soon as we got above, but okay.

-Back through the fully-alerted Palamecia.

-That constant siren is such a relaxing soothing melody.

-These PSICOM Huntresses for instance cast a bunch of buffs on themselves at the start of the fight, but it’s just not worth it for me to switch to saboteur since it only dispels one at a time.

---

Datalog, Etc.

-Neat! I can cure status effects by applying the opposite effect, e.g. cure Debrave with Brave.



-The only non-intuitive status pair is Vigilance/Curse.

-Vanille’s datalog name has been updated to Oerba Dia Vanille.

-I tested out the modifier components, using 10 of each on an unmodified weapon. It didn’t tell me much. Didn’t see a huge difference in the modifier, and the xp difference is irrelevant to me versus Crank Shafts.

-Whatever. I’m just gonna go with Vibrant Oozes. I remember having good experiences with them in the past for modifiers.

---

Time to Split

-Guards arrive at Sazh’s and Vanille’s cell to move them, in light of the l’Cie attack.

LOLOL SAZH SENDS CHOCOBO AFTER HIM! GO FOR THE EYES BOO!


Jailbreak.

-Poor Vanille. “Do I deserve to escape?”

-Sazh doesn’t give an easy answer, which I appreciate. It’d be so easy for him to be like, “Of course! I forgive you, you’re fine!” It’s not that simple.

But he does believe both of them have things to fight for. People they care for. He’s in it with her.

-The datalog classified the PSICOM Huntress as an “Epopt.” I only heard that word once before in my life, to describe the leaders of Troia in the FFIV sequel.

-Omg. Just read the “Vibrant Ooze” description: “A brightly colored, translucent secretion that actually looks rather appetizing.” Wtf game.

-The codes keep changes. Started at red, then green, now Code Purple. Whatever that means.

-Sazh brings up whether to run but NO! no more running.


”For once in my life, I am going to save her.” HELL YES

---

Next time: the infiltration continues.