Monday, December 3, 2018

Level Up - Part 9: Future is Present






Reached level 25 today.  It'd probably be faster if I did dungeons, but speed isn't the name of this game. I've been working on zone achievements instead. Cleared out Redridge Mountains, now finishing up Darkshire.

It's a new experience. I usually binge MMOs, so limiting myself to 40-45 minutes per day feels chiller. Not rushing to raid or... anything, really.

I mean, let's say this project goes great. Let's say three months from now I'm level 120 and working on reputations in "Battle for Azeroth" (the latest expansion), or building up pet battles, or hunting down an armor set from an past expansion.

That would ideally be the same pace as I'm working on now. The same basic actions.

There's nothing to rush towards. That's simultaneously relaxing, scary, and exhilarating. Strange.

---

I went to the gym for a workout tonight. That journey (intentionally) parallels leveling up my warrior, and I see this same thing. If all goes well, in three months my exercises may be different, and the food I eat may be different, but I'm aiming for the daily activity to feel fundamentally the same.

Practicing good habits each day is exactly what I'll be doing months from now. Ideally.