Sunday, July 18, 2021

FF Type-0 - Part 51: Verboten Eidolon [Unspoiled]

Summary: Completing chapter 6. The battle against Milites concludes. Alexander. Gilgamesh. Sacrifice. Utter heartbreak.

 

---



Six Thoughts/Questions

1) I agree with Julio. Chapters 5 and 6 were by far my favorites in the game so far. The visuals of chapter 5 and the heartbreak of chapter 6 just form a legendary pair.

2) I LOVE how Type-0 portrays l'Cie! They're almost alien. We see that with Incognitus being seemingly bored in the face of annihilation or Lady Caetuna's general detachment.

3) Mechanically, I adore how the game forced me to split the party up. This is one of the very few games where I've enjoyed that. For instance, in FFVIII's final castle, it sucked to split the party. I had one core party so half my characters were under-leveled or undergeared.

Not here. In Type-0, my characters have been comparably leveled/geared. This gives me the chance to flex my muscles and play with a host of different styles. Big fan.

4) Speaking of which, I'm glad I got to play with Cinquey. She is awful against faster and small enemies, but it was SO SATISFYING to reach that final mech boss. It was immobile as heck and let me just spam that Whirling Mace to wreck it.

5) I've said this before about the elite trials and level 55+ dungeons meant for NG+, and I'll reiterate it here with Gilgamesh: I hated it. I HATE that the game finishes a cool section of the game with a fight that's basically unwinnable when it wasn't a scripted loss for story purposes.

I'd much prefer if they just teased the NG+ content without making it available. Lock the level 55 dungeons! Lock the elite trials! Let Gilgamesh see me from a distance without just bashing my face against him to wipe out.

It's a relatively small thing, but still.

6) [MANGA SPOILERS] I finished the Ice Reaper manga series (through book 5 anyway, in case there are more I don't know of) a few days ago. Perfect timing - or the worst timing. It made Kurasame's death hit so much harder than it would have otherwise.

I also semi-take back what I said in the video. In the video, I said that the memory loss after the Champions' deaths made him more susceptible to just being "FOR RUBRUM!!" But he did actively choose to cover things up for Rubrum's sake, while he still retained knowledge (if not heart-deep memories) of his comrades' death.