Thursday, May 5, 2016

Chrono Trigger – Part 26: Hijack

Summary: Post-Lavos Dark Ages. The insufferable Dalton kidnaps the party and retrofits the Epoch. The party busts out, commandeers the Epoch in one of the most badass action sequences in the game thus far.


Last Island

-The world is OBLITERATED!!



I looked at the map, and most of the landmasses are just gone. Did this happen in the starting timeline, or did something we did wake Lavos up in a way that alters Crono’s original 1,000 AD?

-I was wrong about the Earthbound and the Enlightened Ones being the ancestors of the magic monsters and the non-magic humans. They’re all mixed up now. Not many Enlightened Ones are still alive, and the ones that are alive are indistinguishable from Earthbound.

-A Nu here has some wares. Apparently, they change up. Currently just standard potions.

-Where’s Lavos now? He rained fire on the world, and then… what? Went back to sleep beneath the earth?

-More talk of the Moon Stone. My current bet is that I’ll have to use get a Moon Stone, power it up in the past to turn it into a Sun Stone by collecting it later in the timeline, and use it to weaken Lavos into a state where we have a fighting chance to beat him.



-The Earthbound are treating the fallen Enlightened with remarkable amounts of compassion, given how they were treated by the Enlightened before.

-Dalton’s soldiers charge into the common area where people are milling about, proclaiming “King Dalton.” Arrrgh.



Fucking Dalton, you’re the worst.

-He tells us he plans to steal the Epoch. Slams us with fireballs. Marle deflects the first, but further attacks knock the party out.

 ---

The Blackbird

-We wake up in a metal prison. Is this the Epoch?

-All our stuff’s been taken from us.



-AHA! We’re on that plane!

-This is weird.



We climbed into the air ducts and can look through grates at various points at the floor beneath us.

-What a neat level. It’s sort of a maze, a puzzle, where we have to nakedly fight through different parts of the Blackbird to get our stuff back. Feel really glad to have Ayla to start with. She makes combat easy, since she didn’t need weapons or techs. Just needs her two fists.

-BLESS YOU CHRONO TRIGGER!



Reached a section that was the “next” area, and the game asked me if I was sure I wanted to continue even though I hadn’t gotten all of my stuff yet. Similar to reaching Ultimecia in FFVIII if I hadn’t unlocked everything yet. Such a small thing that I’m always super nervous about.

-Ok, got all my stuff. There are probably secrets I missed, but I’m one of the worst maze-runners on God’s green earth, so I’m going to live with it.

-That jerkface! Dalton took the Epoch on board and is tinkering with it.

-Can’t find my way out to where I got before. I have less than zero sense of direction.

*20 minutes later*

-Yeah, ridiculously frustrated right now.

-!!Hey look, I can reverse the conveyor belt directions! That makes things way easier.

-FINALLY!!

-So where on the plane is this? OH LOL it’s on top of the plane, outside the plane somewhere. Almost fell off.

-Crap. The Turrets on here seem to be like Rubble, where they have high evade. I don’t know what kind of rewards they give because I can’t kill them before they self-destruct. Should have equipped Berserker Ring for this.

-It helps me kill one, but I can’t kill the rest.

-NOOOOOO!!! I’m dead. I’m super dead. Another of Dalton’s Golems spawned on the wing before I removed my Berserker rings from Marle and Ayla. This must be the Boss.

-The Boss is different from the other Golems. Doesn’t copy what we do and repeat. Instead, he does a count down.

-Healed up best I could but he reached 1…

-LOL WTF.



He reached the end of the countdown, then seemed to fizzle out before restarting the countdown.

-I won! Somehow. Lucca’s Mega Bomb helped a lot. I wonder if the countdown would have worked the second time around.

---

The Ship Formerly Known as Epoch

-Camera swaps over to the pompous Dalton. He added wings to the Epoch. Why? Because he thinks they look cool. (Which, credit where credit’s due, they do.) [Later edit: apparently, it’s functional too.]



-ahahahahah he turned the machine on, the Epoch music started, and he got annoyed and shut the music off. XD XD XD

-It flew! Not in time, but in space. I have a feeling that this’ll benefit us more than him when we steal it back.

-Aaand then it got sad. He started firing on us on the wings with the now battle-ready Epoch (I’m not using that ridiculous new name, Dalton, sorry) and this was the straw that broke the camel’s back after the pain of losing Crono for Marle.

-MY PARTY IS SO FUCKING BADASS



THEY JUMPED FROM THE BLACKBIRD ONTO THE EPOCH WHILE BOTH ARE MID-FLIGHT



HOLY SHIIIIIIT

-oh god another boss fight and I STILL have those ridiculously bad berserk rings on

-Surviving. Somehow…

-Hee! He tried summoning Golem Boss. TOO LATE BROSEPH

And he got sucked into the portal he tried to use to call Golem Boss. See ya, Dalton! For now. I imagine we’ll see him again.

-The ladies take control of their newly upgraded Epoch, blow the Blackbird out of the sky, and generally kick ass.



-Marle’s words upon landing: “Crono’s gotta be alive somewhere! I’ll find him!”

And now I’m back to my original belief: that Crono is really out there. He went somewhere, transmuted himself or warped himself somewhere in time in sacrifice or something something black wind (still dunno what that’s about , but maybe it’s involved).

---

Next time: hunting for Crono!