Thursday, July 2, 2015

FFVII Crisis Core – Part 25: Five Saints

Summary: I finish off the “End the War with Wutai > Behind the Scenes” campaign. The last missions are mechanically nasty, and I take down the leadership: the Five Saints of Wutai.


Mission: To End the War with Wutai > Behind the Scenes > Foes Inside Shinra Building (3/6)

-There are a number of “Hard”-difficulty missions awaiting me. I could wait, but want to stick to my plan of doing any sub-“Very Hard” missions as they come up.

-Some Wutai folk got inside the Shinra Building. Fighting soldiers and their cool lion dog things.



The “Bojangs” that I can’t help but think of as lion-dogs.

Boss is a Vajradhara Rakshasa, one of the giant Wutai monsters with a huge mace.

---

Mission: To End the War with Wutai > Behind the Scenes > March into Wutai (4/6)

-Shinra continues to press the attack, going after an anti-Shinra base within Wutai itself.

-Cave zone. The final boss is another Vajradhara, but a tougher one than any I’ve seen. I got it low-ish on health, and now it keeps spamming the unavoidable “Mace Boomerang.” Whenever I heal, it casts it again.


Again and again and…

Hm. I suppose this means I’m meant to stay at low health after a certain point and just dodge her punches. …Aaaaand I’m dead lol.

-One more try. I also remembered “Gravity” is a thing, which is nice given that the monster has FIFTY THOUSAND HEALTH JEEEZ

-Got it low… now she’s spamming… hm, maybe she only spams that if I keep range? Got into melee and finished her. Woohoo!


A screenshot of Aerith’s limit break in action, because I like how it looks.

---

Mission: To End the War with Wutai > Behind the Scenes > Stubborn Wutai Remnants (5/6)

-This next mission is “Very Hard.” But I’ll give it a try since it’s the campaign’s home stretch. If it gets ugly, I’ll move on.

-…The first random encounter I face is the boss from the last mission, the Vajradhara Indra. You’ve gotta be kidding me.



My Phoenix Down saves me and I win this one, but not spending another Phoenix Down. If I die, I die.

-Other monsters here are more standard – dogs and soldiers – but the final boss is one more Vajradhara Indra and a dog. I take out the dog quick, and cast Gravity 3-4 times on the Vajradhara to really obliterate its health quickly. Survived some Mace Boomerangs and BOOM! Victory.

---

Mission: To End the War with Wutai > Behind the Scenes > Five Saints of Wutai (6/6)

-And because I’m feeling masochistic, I’m going to try this last mission too, another “Very Hard” one. Probably more so.

-Shinra has found the group directing the Wutai remnants I’ve been chasing down. They call themselves the Five Saints of Wutai. Let’s head to their base.

-I see one boss almost immediately, who looks like what I (with my movie-and-not-historical knowledge) think is a samurai? But interestingly enough, I already see more in the distance. I imagine I have to take down five mini-bosses here.

-I’m a bit confused. I just looted a “Drain Blade” from a chest but can’t find it in my inventory. Weird.

-First boss is “Crescent Unit Primus.”



He has 70k+ health. Gravity knocks him down, and I finish him off before his “Curaga” hits.

-Next up is Tertius. Just as nasty. These also have the habit of casting “Anesthetic Shot,” paralyzing me temporarily.

-Quartus. I assume the fifth is the big bad (or Big Good? Remember: Shinra = bad!).

-There she is. Final boss here. I’m nervous. “Crescent Unit Auintus.” “For my bretheren and Wutai, say your prayers!”

-Same tactics. Gravity gravity gravity, dodge the scary attacks (“Bloodspiller?” Don’t know what it does, and don’t want to find out), and finish her off with attacks to interrupt cure attempts.


The power of gravity.

-Come on…

-COME ON…

YES HAHAH

-I obtained “Wutai Secret Shop” as a reward. Wtf?

-A new campaign opens up off the back of this one, but it’s “Very Hard” to start with. No thanks. That was fun, challenging, and mentally draining. I don’t mind doing a “Very Hard” mission when it’s in the last one or two of a campaign, but definitely not starting a campaign with that.

---

After the Mission

-Aha! THAT’S what both the Research QMC and the Wutai Secret Shop are. They’re new places for me to remote-shop at! The research place just sells some basic materia I already have. But the Wutai Secret Shop?



-Yum. Expensive, but yum.

-DOUBLE AHA! I was looking for an accessory called “Drain Blade,” but it’s a materia I now possess. Lovely.

---

Next time: more missions? Not sure what’s next on the menu.