Saturday, July 18, 2015

FFVII Crisis Core – Part 35: To Catch a Spy

Summary: Zack wanders around Midgar trying, helping Shinra catch spies from Wutai’s newly-formed Crescent Unit.


 
Sector 8

-A newsletter from Heidegger updates the company on the attacks. But don’t worry! The bottom line is fine.


Gya-ha-ha!

-A Second Class on Loveless Avenue describes the danger of the new Crescent Unit, a Wutai remnant group. The Crescent Unit has six spies in Midgar, and he wants my help to catch them.

-Ok. This is cool. I have to hunt through Midgar to find these six spies. The first is in Sector 8.

-Some weird rumor in town about a prince (?) named Joe (??) on a black chocobo named Hyperion (???). The employee who tells me this mentions that in a few years he’ll be a great chocobo jockey, so I have a feeling this is a reference to something I must’ve missed in the Golden Saucer back in FFVII.

-Study Group is dramatically outpacing Red Leather in terms of financial success among Genesis fan clubs.

-I get a letter from that club saying that they’re going to try to understand what the play means by “gift of the goddess.” Look. I’ve met the “goddess” that Genesis finds important, and trust me. Y’all don’t want a piece of her.

-Found the first spy!



-The Second tells me that interrogations may result in a mission for us. I’ll have to check back with him later.

-The second spy is dressed in full SOLDIER garb. He infiltrated the Shinra Building before, and may now be in either Sector 8 or the Shinra Building.

-I’m noticing that some NPCs have dialogue options that only open when I talk to them a second or even third time.

-No sightings of the second spy on Loveless Avenue, the Fountain District, the lobby of the Shinra Building, the Exhibit Room, the SOLDIER Floor… Hm.

-Nothing at the Train Station either, though the train is here. This means I can go to Sector 5 when I want, but first want to take another crack at finding this spy.

-Checked again with the Second. He said they already searched Sector 8, so I’ll check the Shinra Building once more. And he said “army garb,” not necessarily SOLDIER garb.

---

Shinra Building

-No luck. Only place I haven’t checked is the Shinra Director’s Office. Let’s try there.

-Just Lazard. He says that the company’s getting ready to eliminate Angeal, despite Zack’s protestations.


The reluctant Director.

-Lazard seems to agree that it sucks, but mentions the need to sacrifice for an unspecified “goal.”

-GRRRRR. Nothing. Stuck.

-Took a minute to chill. The language that the Second sending me out on this spyhunting mission is vague. Says that the guy’s in army garb, that he was in the Shinra Building, and that he probably wouldn’t return there again (with an ellipsis that I thought means “he couldn’t return there… COULD HE?” but may just men (“Yeah, he’s not going back there”). Also that they already swept Sector 8.

So maybe this means that the second spy is elsewhere in the city. Let’s take a train to Sector 5 and keep an eye out for him along the way.

---

Sector 5 Market

-Started walking here, and BAM! Angeal pops up behind me.

-He’s lost touch with Sephiroth, but is still in touch with Lazard, helping us.


Once SOLDIER, always SOLDIER.

-Both Genesis and Hollander are in “Modeoheim.”

-Now that Zack’s taken care of some of the Midgar monsters, a girl in the slums here said her friend was able to leave the city and travel the world keeping a journal. I feel like this is also a reference to a character but it doesn’t register.

-JACK FUCKING POT!



-Gotcha, spy #2.

-The third spy stole stuff from the SOLDIER floor of the Shinra building. Disguised as “someone who has business with Shinra.” Probably business dress.

-Took a quick check back in Sector 8, but didn’t see anyone there. Not gonna bother checking the Shinra Building. Just from a gameplay standpoint, and the fact that the Second in charge of spycatching is now stationed at the Sector 5 Market, I’ll assume the game wants me to push forward to find the spy.

---

Next time: Onto the streets of Sector 5 to find the third spy.