Sunday, July 19, 2015

FFVII Crisis Core – Part 36: Cloud Uncover

Summary: Zack gets dragged by Tseng back into the story at Modeoheim. Their helicopter crashes, and Zack, Tseng, and a certain spiky-haired infantryman move towards a mako excavation site.


Sector 5

-Someone heard the Shinra Building was attacked by ghosts. Uhh… No? I guess that’s how the Genesis attacks spread through the grapevine.

-A random dude lost contact with his apparently unpleasant friend, but misses him.

-UMMMM

-Ok. So. This girl here says that she’s waiting for her uncle to come back.




He went off to fight monsters outside Midgar. Fine. But she also says that he said he’d marry her when she grows up. Wtf? This must be one of those language things where “uncle” means “older dude who helps watch out for me,” not necessarily “my dad’s brother.”

-A new SOLDIER, a Second, will fill me in on the goings-on of Shinra by email. Luxiere.

-I can go to the park or the church from here. Let’s go to the church first.

---

Sector 5 – Church

-Tseng catches Zack before he hits the church. Aerith’s not there.

-Oh shit. Zack wonders how Tseng knows Aerith. “It’s complicated.” I’ll say.

-AH DAMMIT. He swipes me onto his helicopter and we go to Modeoheim. But but but! I wasn’t ready! I wanted to explore the rest of Sector 5, and do missions, and find Aerith, and visit the park! GAH. The game is usually better than this and at least gives me a warning, like, “Let’s get going! Are you ready, or do you have more stuff to before checking back with me?”

-Bah. Whatever. I better be able to continue soon with the spy-catching.


My sentiments exactly.

-As Zack leaves, a white feather floats on the wind. Someone’s watching.

---

Modeo Ravine

-WTF? The helicopter crashed or was shot down or something.

-No explanation for the crash.

-Zack’s a “country boy,” and knows how to navigate the terrain. Tseng and two operatives will follow him.



-The terrain is beautiful. But then, I always have a soft spot for cold and snowy settings.

-YOU’RE SHITTING ME

-YOUJFKLS SHIT AJKLNA:A AME HB

ZACK: “At least someone’s keeping up!”
“RANDOM” SOLDIER OPERATIVE: “Well, I’m a country boy too.”
ZACK: “From where?”
“RANDOM” SOLDIER OPERATIVE: “Nibelheim.”

Must be Cloud under that mask. 100%.



-And they get along immediately.

-Yup. It’s confirmed.



And Cloud’s now on the DMW.

-I like the Cloud voice actor. It’s simultaneously not what I imagined and better than what I imagined. I would’ve guessed that Cloud had a moderately deep and growly voice, but the voice here is sort of high pitched and very young. As I think about it, that makes sense.

Though perhaps early-FFVII Cloud might have affected a “grizzled old veteran” voice and not done that well in the imitation.

-Some piping is now visible, seeming to emerge from the mountain.

-Cloud wants to know what it’s like to be in SOLDIER. Zack tells him he’ll know when he joins us, but Cloud seems disturbed by this. Not sure yet if it’s because he tried to join and failed, or because he doesn’t think he’ll make it if he tries. I think it’s the former, but could be wrong.

-They spot a reactor in the distance.



It’s guarded by soldiers. Genesis clones maybe.

-Tseng corrects me. It’s a mako excavation test site.

-The goal here is infiltration without killing. Sneak around. Although once inside the factory, Zack’s free to kill.

-Dang. It sounds like it’s going to be another body temperature mini-game like from FFVII. To get his body temperature back up, Zack’ll have to do his “usual thing.” I assume this means squats.

-Zack talks to Cloud once more.



It confirms for me that Cloud hasn’t tried to get into SOLDIER just yet.

---

Next time: infiltrating the Modeoheim mako excavation site.