Monday, November 7, 2016

FFX – Part 54: Victorious

Summary: Getting my ass handed to me in the Calm Lands Arena. Mushroom Rock Road. Young!Auron and Young!Kinoc. The first Al Bhed password.


Calm Lands Arena

-I was looking for a seventh Mushroom Rock Road fiend and not finding it. I want to make sure I’m looking in the right spot, and so heading back to the Calm Arena to double check.

-The arena dude formed a super monster from Kilika.

-GRSOS GROSS GROSS

-It’s some kind of super Malboro. It used Putrid Breath, got us all statused-up (didn’t have any ribbon on at the time), and then used something called “Chow Time” to chew and spit my party members up one-by-one.



Malboro Menace.

-And now he’s got another monster ready since I cleared out Besaid. I have zero hope I’ll actually win, but I don’t really care since I can just heal up afterwards. I just enjoy seeing these overpowering monsters.


Stratoavis.

-A giant Zu.

-I may have a chance with this one! It’s immune to scane, but I can do damage and it doesn’t insta-kill me.

-One of its attacks one-shot Wakka.

-Ruh oh. It’s “charging.”

-OH NO!! I shouldn’t have gotten “Doublecast” on Yuna. It reads: “Cast two black magic spells in a row.” That’s what I get for assuming it would just be “cast two spell in a row.”

Maybe I can turn her into a red mage.

-It used “Paean of the Heavens.” Heavy damage, but not fatal. Nice change of pace.

-It’s immune to Demi, which I should’ve expected.

-Mental Break stuck.

-This feels a bit cheap, but one of the strategies I’m trying out here on Stratoavis is to just continually bring out sacrificial aeons to take its attacks. Each gets one shot, but chips away.

-Boy, I think I’ve been doing decent damage, but this thing has a ton of health.

-Made a good stand, but lost. My best attempt against one of these bosses yet.

-One more of these. A conglomeration of Mi’ihen Highroad captures.

-It’s one of those “put up your dukes” yeti-types.


Kottos.

-It punches me for absurb amounts of damage and quickly kills the party.

-Anyway. Enough dying to monsters way above my weight class. I came here to check out the fiends status. It seems I was mistaken:

MUSHROOM ROCK ROAD FIENDS CAPTURED [7]
-RAPTOR
-GANDAREWA
-FUNGUAR
-THUNDER FLAN
-LAMASHTU
-RED ELEMENT
-???? [Later edit: eventually found Garuda. Hope this counts.]

I had counted Bomb, Dual Horn, Floating Eye, Ipiria, and Vouvre in my capture list since I caught them on the Mushroom Rock Road, but it seems that monsters only count towards one category. These monsters I counted incorrectly only counted towards Mi’ihen Highroad. Good to know.

---

Mushroom Rock Road

-Returned to Mushroom Rock Road and found one more new monster: Garuda.

-Continued down the path, and found an Auron Sphere just before the Crusader camp.

-“Leave it alone?” How is that an option?

-We young!Auron talking to young!Kinoc.

-It’s the start of his Pilgrimage. Kinoc was just made second in command, promoted over Auron. Seems to feel a bit guilty (or perhaps feigning guilt?) that Auron is going on the pilgrimage.

AURON: “You make it sound as if I were going off to die or something. I will see you again.”

SCREEEEEEAMING



-They part. Kinoc was the one operating the sphere.

-YESSS!! Watching that gave Auron a new overdrive: “Banishing Blade.”

-The elevator to reach the site of the battle against Sin is rusted. Can’t use it. I’ll bet that’s what the Battle Site location on the airship is used access.

---

Battle Site

-This place is a wreck. (Of course. It’s a battle site.)



-Found a Phantom Bangle for Lulu. Ice Eater, Fire Eater, Water Eater.

-This seems to be another of those short areas I can’t really do anything else in.

-Backtracking to another new area.

---

Mi’ihen Ruins

-Cool!!! We’re seeing ourselves from afar. The camera is situated outside the Rin’s Travel Agency on the Mi’ihen Highroad. We’re on the ruins in the water across the way.



-Only one treasure chest here. Has a great Rikku weapon called Sonar. Poisonstrike, Initiative, and an empty slot.

---

Airship

-VICTORIOUS, THE PASSWORD MUST BE VICTORIOUS

-It just hit me. I’ve been thinking about that password for a while, the second line, and the blanks just filled. Time to test it out, but I don’t doubt I’m right.

-JACKPOT!!! I deciphered it. It’s “password #2.” I wonder what password #1 is.

-New area: Besaid Ruins 1.

---

Besaid Ruins #1

-Awesome. So, so fucking awesome.

-This takes me atop the ruins on the Ancient Road that I’ve been trying to figure out for a while.



-Found a treasure chest with an item called Victorious. The name made me think it’d be a blitzball thing, something for Tidus or Wakka, but it’s a shield for Rikku that renders her Lightningproof, Fireproof, Iceproof.

-Good lord. That was SUPER satisfying.

---

Next time: continuing Capturepalooza 2016.