Tuesday, November 15, 2016

FFX – Part 60: Close Encounters

Summary: Final attempts at Dark Yojimbo. Playing with weapon/armor customization. Sin goes down. (For now.)


Preparations

CID: “The final showdown with Sin.”

-I’m moving forward on the assumption that he’s at least sort of right, and that I’m heading into the last phases of the game. I don’t have full faith that this is true – maybe there’ll be a whole huge other section, maybe this is just the 75% mark, maybe maybe maybe.

-But I want to act as if this is the end.

-I know I’m missing out on a TON of stuff. Never found most of those legendary weapons. Never found how to get rid of the “No AP” and turn it into something awesome (which is still what I assume should happen). Never found the Magus Sisters aeon, or the giant cactuar aeon that I have to assume is in the Sanubia Sands behind the sandstorm. Never beat Omega. Never beat the vast majority of the the Calm Lands Arena monsters (and don’t care that much to try on this playthrough).

-I’m okay with that. TOTALLY okay with all that. This is a first playthrough, and I’ve made my peace with these unspoiled first attempts being non-completionist.

-BUT FUCKING DARK YOJIMBO IS GOING DOWN. If he and his summoner think I’ve forgotten the grief they caused me that one session, they have another thing coming.


Unrelated to anything, but I love the animation for Kimahri’s “Stone Breath.”

---

Cavern of Stolen Fayth

-I’m feeling calm. Ready. I know this is luck-based, and that’s okay.

-Three times in a row now he’s done the “Wakizashi-before-you-pay-me” thing that leads to an instant wipe.

-Went back to the Omega Ruins. Farmed until I got 360k gil (which went surprisingly quickly!) and I’m back.

-Going to give this seven tries.

Attempt #1: Wakizashi wipe on first encounter for 120k.

Attempt #2: Wakizashi wipe on first encounter for 120k.

Attempt #3: Wakizashi wipe on first encounter for 100k.

Attempt #4: Pre-emptive Wakizashi wipe on first encounter.

Attempt #5: Success on first encounter!



Got a Grand Slam for Wakka with Break Damage Limit and Magic Counter. This’ll be my last attempt, no matter what happens.

Second encounter is also a Zanmato. Got an Auron Weapon called Heaven’s Cloud with Counterattack and Break Damage Limit and two empty spaces. YESSSS

Third encounter ALSO a zanmato. Is this it? NO!! It’s not. He ran away again. Got a Sanctuary shield for Tidus. Ribbon, Break HP limit, and 2 empty spaces.

Fourth encounter. Here we go. If I don’t get this (and I probably won’t), that’s that. I pay my 8443 gil.



Wakizashi. Death.

-Ah well! Summoner of Dark Yojimbo, your running-away skills were too strong.

---

Preparing for Sin

-Looking through my Customization to see if there’s anything I want to do. I can do one Auto-Haste.

-Added “One MP Cost” to Yuna’s weapon.

-Auto-Haste for Tidus’s shield.

-Magic Counter for Auron’s sword.



-Evade & Counter and Magic Coutner to Wakka’s ball.



-HP +50% to one of Wakka’s bracers. Auto-Med as well since he doesn’t have Ribbon.

-Auto-Med and HP +30% to Lulu’s bangle.

-One MP cost to Lulu’s weapon.

-HP +30% to Rikku’s Lightningproof, Fireproof, and Iceproof shield.

-Counterattack, Magic Counter, and Slowtouch to Tidus’ weapon that had Strength +10%.

-I like how doing this changes the name of the weapon sometimes! Like, Tidus’ generic weapon became “Vendetta.” Wakka’s wristguard became “Top Shape.”

-Went through one last time and added some HP boosts and auto-med and other minor stuff.

-I get the sense that when I watch more experienced LPs and see how people really soup their characters up to be able to take on the likes of Omega and the Calm Lands Arena monsters, this is where a lot of that power boost comes from. Effective use of customization.

-HERE WE GO!!!

---

Sin

-On the airship, preparing for Yu Yevon in a cutscene.

-Cid starts blasting the Hymn of the Fayth through the speakers. It’s kind of awesome.

-Yuna is moved. She senses the scope of this moment.

LULU: “A singing ship in the sky.”

-THERE’S SIN HOLY SHIT IT’S REAL IT’S HAPPENING AND IT’S REAL

-How are we breaking into Sin? Crash into him? Climb into his ears?

-Cid is tickled by Tidus’s plan.

-We’re going INSIDE SIN THIS IS AWESOME

-awwww – Rikku’s brother tells Tidus to guard her.

-lolol Rin gives an in-game explanation for why he’s still selling stuff and not just giving it away.

-Spirits are high aboard the ship.

-Going up on deck. Oh god here we go.

-Everyone is singing!!

-Tidus just showed Yuna her death note sphere and chucked it overboard.



I get what he was saying, but… rude. The whole “watch her secret personal sphere and then throw it away.” Just… no.

-She nods.

-Something’s quaking.

-wtf is that

-Seymour?? It’s gotta be.

JESUS

-SIN’S MOUTH

-UHHH WHAT’S HAPPENIG?

-Some sort of purple magic ball came, Sin seemed to eat it or ingest it or something, and then… it got trippy





WHAT THE FUCK

-A GIANT RED SEA THING




-LIKE FMAB A GIANT ALCHEMY CIRCLE???

-Face to face with Sin. Cid might have seen a weak spot.

-We’re getting pulled in by Sin.

-THIS IS WILD. WE’RE FIGHTING SIN ALONGSIDE THE SHIP

-I can target a weird pulsing spot on his left fin.



-Tidus gets the trigger command to move in.

-I whap it a bunch and defeat the fin. I think we’re busting in.

-HAHAHAHA WE JUST FUCKING USED ELECTRIC LANCY ZAPPER THINGS TO RIP SIN’S ARM LOOSE




-We’re swapping sides to the next fin.

-Prepped, moved in, here we go with Righty the Fin.

-Bahamut’s Megaflare one-shots it for 60k.



-And we blew the fuck outta his right fin.

-The main gun is busted on the ship. What now? Regroup.

-HELL NO TIME TO JUST JUMP IN

-WE LEAP OF FAITH ONTO SIN’S SKIN

---

Sin’s Back

-Something that looks like Catastrophe from the Calm Arena appears.


Sinspawn Genais.

-It goes down super quickly to a Full Break, a Demi, and an Ultima.

-The Core is gathering energy.

-It spews out Fire and Gravija.

-Gravija is its main attack.

-Yuna’s Holy blows it apart. What next, Sin?

-The finless, coreless Sin is crashing.





-Crashed into a city. Bevelle I think?

-No way it’s dead. No chance. Not fooling me for a heartbeat. Everyone on the ship is celebrating. Not me.

-Tidus and Yuna know it’ll come back. We still have to beat the guy inside Sin.

---

Next time: Pressing the assault.