Sunday, November 13, 2016

FFX – Part 58: Omega Ruins Coldrun

Summary: Dark Bahamut. The brutal ordeal of the Omega Ruins. Ultima Weapon goes down. Omega Weapon does not.


Zanarkand Ruins

-I’ve backtracked through almost everywhere. I could go to Omega Ruins immediately, but want to finish my run-through by backtracking first through Zanarkand Ruins.

-I love the look of the path to the ruins so much.

-The Defender Z enemies here are great to Pilfer Gil from. 1-2k.

-I WAS RIGHT! It was worth coming back here. There’s a new tetris puzzle.

-The image has 7 white squares. There are only three in this first room, so maybe it’s a two-room puzzle.



-Success. The tiles are lighting up, and playing music. Hymn of the Fayth?

-Got a Destruction Sphere. This in turn opened up the way to a treasure chest. Got Magistral Rod. Half MP cost for Yuna. Awesome! I found myself running out of mana on her, especially when she used Holy.

-The Great Hall is still a mess.

-OH FUCK FUCK IT’S DARK BAHAMUT



He makes short work of me.

-Took some time to recharge Yuna’s gauge outside and came back.



-See ya, Dark B.

-Got a rod for Yuna called Abraxas. Break Damage Limit, Double Overdrive, two empty spaces. YES PLEASE.

-Can’t seem to interact with anywhere else in this area, “the Beyond.”

-There’s a giant circle with some familiar symbols in it. It might have been there before – I can’t remember. I can’t get to the center of it as if there’s a force field. I now think that symbol in the center is the crest of Yu Yevon.

-Ok. It’s time.

---

Omega Ruins

-I have no illusions that I’ll be able to complete this dungeon. Only in one past FF game in this series have I been able to defeat Omega. (Well, once when he was an optional superboss. He was the final boss in Dirge of Cerberus, so that’s a bit different.)

-We arrive and Lulu fills in some history. 700 years ago a heretic monk was sent here. The traitor Omega. A traitor who despised Yevon and became a fiend here.



[Later edit: I love that the game adds this backstory here. And does so while giving up a close-up preview of Omega Weapon itself. Builds atmosphere and anticipation well.]

-Hey, maybe since he hates Yevon and we’re against Yevon, we can team up! I’m sort of kidding, but not really. I’ll bet if I defeat Omega (lol not happening but still), he might join Yuna as an aeon.

-These Purobolos are gonna be hard to capture. Only three hits before self-destruction.

-I can soften them up with magic without puffing them up. 
-The mini-map is expanding in an unusual way. I wonder if the dungeon’s layout is being randomly generated. Either that or it just gives the sense of exploring uncharted territory.



-WHAT IS THIS, DARK SOULS? THAT’S A FRIGGING TREASURE CHEST MIMIC

-The mimic takes incredibly low damage. I don’t want to magic it because I want to capture it, so plinking away.

*long ass time later*

-Still plinking away at this mimic.

-OH RIGHT!! I should’t used Demi a while ago. That helps a ton.

-…. “Mimic cannot be captured.” Well. Shit.

-Interesting. If I don’t try to steal from the treasure chest, it doesn’t turn into a mimic.

-WAIT FUUUUCK. What if I was supposed to try stealing anyway, if it wasn’t a mimic? Yeah. I immediately regret that decision.

-Or not. The treasure chest disappeared after combat, so maybe that means it wasn’t real.

-Next fight was another treasure chest in combat, and I tried stealing. It turned into a mimic. This one is a beast with a red core and it’s starting to one shot me. Shit shit shit.

-And now a Great Malboro. This dungeon is everything I expected. Having three characters with Ribbon really helps.

-Adamantoise!



Good to see ya, buddy. It’s been too long. Sometimes this guy is a regular easy monster, like in FFIV, and sometimes it’s a brutally tough boss monster, like in FFII and FFV. I’ll guess it’s closer to the latter since it’s here.

-Immune to Demi, but not to Armor Break.

-lol, brought Tidus into combat: “This isn’t just a rock, is it?”

-Looped back around to the dungeon’s save point. Fought a lot, captured 8 fiends, got lots of AP, and didn’t want that progress lost. This place is a learning process.

-A Master Tonberry. The nightmare is real.



-Captured it with only Auron left alive and low health. Auron: “That was too close.”

-The Wraiths are the only enemies I can scan.

-I feel like I’m missing some trick to these treasure chests. Came across a room with four of them. Picked one, killed the mimic, killed the monster, and the others vanished.

-At this point, I’m just leaving the wild treasure chests alone. Would rather not fight the mimics.

-I keep returning to the save point. So much AP here.

-These fights are EXHAUSTING. Like, mentally exhausting. There aren’t really any enemies here that I can just lolautoattack. Each takes time and strategy.

-Captured what I expect to be the last element, Black Element.

-Ok. Gonna equip Lulu’s Peaceful Bangle (No Encounters) and push through. I may definitely come back here to farm gil at some point, but for now I’m ready to move on.

-Found a seal of some sort. Touched it but “nothing happens.”

-Al Bhed Primer vol. XXVI! Didn’t expect to find one of those down here. W -> Z. Tidus is an Al Bhed Medanyde.

-Four treasure chests in a circle. I smell a trap.

-One has Lv 4 Key Sphere. Next is a monster in a box, and the other chests disappear.

-Found another seal. I touched it, and a glyph appeared.  

-Elevator going up.

-Ruh oh. Something’s happening. Quake?


Ultima Weapon.

-I try out some Yojimbo. He gets off a series of helpful Wakizashis and tanks a fair bit of damage before he dies. Not going all in on Zanmato. I don’t think I need to.

-Ultima Weapon deals damage, but it’s manageable.

-YUNAAAA!! Her Damage Break Holy finishes him off. Victory!!



-Got a Nimbus Rod for Yuna, with Double Overdrive an empty space.

-Ultima Weapon was a “shadow born from Omega’s wrath.”

-Afterwards is an elevator taking me into a new area. Screw that. Going back to save first and then explore the main level.

-Solved the glyph mystery! Touched the farther glyph first, then the glyph that did nothing previously, and a bridge appeared. All that led to a treasure chest with a Teleport Sphere.

-Best item ever: Peaceful Bangle. If I had to deal with encoutners throughout this place, I would’ve stopped a while ago I think. No save points beyond the entrance. Grr.

-Unlocked Ultima, yay!

-The next Sphere Grid ability I’ll work towards is Full Break. I have just enough Lv 4 Key Spheres to open it, and Tidus is right there.

-Back up on the higher level. The music is different up here. More ominous, more tense.

-I see a cloud of purple smoke in the distance. Reminds me of when I found Omega in FFIX. That’s probably where he is.

-Two bosses here. Gemini. They scared the shit out of me – wasn’t expecting them. [Later edit: I do like that the game takes No Encounters into account and addresses it.]



-The left one absorbs water. The right one is weak to it.

-Captured one! That’s unexpected. I thought they were bosses since they attacked even with No Encounters up.

-Next platform has an Adamantoise. Ultima looks awesome!

-Master Tonberry next. Haaaate this guy, but I survive.

-CRAP CRAP CRAP. I wasn’t ready.



I had all my non-Ribbon characters on the frontline and came against Great Malboro. I don’t even get a chance to swing. Just die. 
-I’ll try once more.

-Ooh, I see a chest in the other direction! I’ll try there first.

-New monsters: Demonolith. Yuna’s Holy does MASSSIVE damage.

-Don’t have much to say about this gauntlet. It’s tiring. Not tiresome – not boring, not exactly – but it takes energy.

-I think part of what makes it so draining is the thought in the back of my mind that all this will probably be for nothing. I don’t trust that I’ll get a save point before Omega.

-Reached Omega. Here we go.

TIDUS: “This is definitely bad.” Right there with ya buddy.


Omega Weapon.

-Gonna start the fight with some aeons. Bahamut’s Megaflare.

-Omega seems to use souped-up versions of Ultima’s abilities.

-Omega absorbs lightning. And fire. Well… shit. Ifrit’s and Ixion’s overdrives negated about half of Bahamut’s. Gotta stick with physical and non-elemental.

-He unleashed Ultima on me (the spell, not the Weapon) and that was that.


Omega victorious.

-Whelp! I’m out. That was fun to see, and awesome design! If I could save before the boss, I might try out some strategies, but I reeeeeally dislike having to run gauntlets like that multiple times, so going to tip my cap to Omega and leave him in peace.

[Later edit: I also don’t believe I was remotely close to winning. The no-savegauntlet is brutal, and not a game design choice I particularly like (though thank god it’s not mandatory. STARES HARD AT FFIII) but even if I could save before Omega, nothing but Yojimbo shenanigans would likely allow me to win with where I’m currently at in terms of stats and weapons and skills.]

OMEGA RUINS FIENDS CAPTURED [10]
-ADAMANTOISE
-BLACK ELEMENT
-FLOATING DEATH
-GREAT MALBORO
-HALMA
-MACHEA
-PUROBOROS
-SPIRIT
-VARUNA
-WRAITH
-ZAURUS

---

Next time: Calm Lands Arena to ensure I finished the zone captures for Omega Ruins, Dark Ixion, Dark Valefor, and then ready to move on to Highbridge in Bevelle at last. Ooh, and I still need to take stock of my items and available armor/weapon upgrades!