Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Chrono Trigger – Part 10: To Extremes


Summary: Exploring the end of time, with brief stops in pre-history and the Day of Lavos.


?END OF TIME?

-I clearly made a massively wrong assumption at the end of the last session. I thought that we were in a town on the previously unvisited eastern continent in 1,000 AD. But when I loaded up the zSNES and saw the location of my last save, it says “End of Time.”



What the actual fuck is happening. When the actual fuck is happening.

OH YEAH AND THERE’S A GUY THERE. WHO IS HE? WHAT’S HE DOING AT THE “END OF TIME?” WHY IS THERE A TOWN AT THE END OF TIME?

-Let’s find out.

-Pretty and haunting music here. Creepy.

-When four or more travelers across time enter a Gate, they end up here.

-This is happening a lot recently, and it’s messing with the fabric of time. Sounds like some final boss stuff. I’m guessing this isn’t Yakra’s work.

-Was this the “cold and dark” place that Marle ended up back in 600 AD? …nah, she was alone at the time.

-So I have to leave one person behind here. That sucks. Marle, I like you a lot, but Lucca got left behind last time I want her and Robo united. Sorry.

-I can use this place as a hub and return here, but The Old Man warns us to not to enter the Gate in the bucket. Way to tantalize, dude.

-A room here at the End has a piyozo in it named Spekkio, a master of war.

-Magic existed in the past (hence Magus) but the power was abused. He says there are four types of magic: lightning, water, fire, and shadow. (No earth I guess.) Is Spekkio giving us magic to use, according to our natures? I think he is.

-We walk around the room three times and he grants us power. Robo doesn’t get the power, but his lasers will now deal shadow damage.

-We have to fight Spekkio… really tough fight, but we get to see practice our new magic.



More techs open up as a result of this.

-Back to the man that Spekkio calls the Old One. He says that the time gate in the bucket is to the Day of Lavos, and I should only go there if I want a short life. Sounds like some endgame stuff. Yeah, nowhere near ready for that!

-Brought Marle back into the party temporarily to get her water magic.



-!!!These portals though! One leads to 2,300 AD, where we just came from, but one leads to 65,000,000 BC to the Mystic Mountain??? The third leads to Medina Village in 1,000 AD. And I know that last one is where I’m supposed to go.

…and yet… the temptation is real…

---

65,000,000 BC

-there are dinosaurs and piyozos and the music is like that “prehistoric dancing” section of the fair

-Monsters hit hard here. Not one-shotting me, but hard enough that I regret coming here.

-There’s a village. Warning of “Reptites.”

-Most villagers are unnamed except this one.



She doesn’t like us and the conversation doesn’t go further. Likely for some quest down the line.

-The Chief’s Hut is empty.

-There’s a lot more here. A Dactyl Nest, Hunting Range, Forest Maze with a lone mountain/cave inside it, but I’ve seen enough to know that it’s not worth exploring just yet.



Just interesting to me that the game even gave me the option to come visit here.

-Picked up a bunch of horns and petals on the way back to the Gate, and learned that the dinos are weak to fire while the piyozos are weak to physical attacks.

-Made it back to end time. I could go on with the story directly, but… sorry, I gotta at least see…

---

1,999 AD – The Day of Lavos

-So is this before or after?

-OH GOD IT’S BEFORE



LIKE TWO SECONDS BEFORE

HE POPPED OUT AND WE CAN FIGHT HIM



FUUUUCK THAAAAT

-Ran away, back to End of Time.

---

-Well. This session was a bit of a roller coaster, but so much fun! Gave me a sense of the game’s scope.


---

Next time: to 1,000 AD. Like I’m supposed to. Stop looking at me like that – the game gave me the options of going super back to the past or to Judgment Day and I had to take it, it was required to at least try!