Monday, April 4, 2016

Chrono Trigger – Part 2: Fair Day

Summary: A day at the fair like any other. Playing games, betting on races, drinking soda, making friends (hi, Marle!), mystic portal to parts unknown.


Leene Square

-Happy festival music! Guards and a giant frog chasing a kitty!... oh, they’re actually racing. One of the strangest groups of racers I’ve seen.

-There’s a “House of Horrors” that I need silver points to enter. Probably win that through various mini-games.

-Someone here sells weapons (who normally lives on the continent to the east) and another sells armor. Not gonna buy just yet.

-Whee! Test of Strength game. It only gives me one silver point per win, but is repeatable.

-Guardia fought a war with Magus (?) 400 years ago and now everything’s fine.

Don’t worry, I’m sure it’ll stay that way!

-LOL THESE RACER NAMES



I’m rooting for Catalack cause she’s a cat.

-She lost three in a row, but come on, Catalack. I have faith.

-Six races later, she nails it. I knew you could do it! When my cat feels like it, he can BOOK IT. 20 silver points.

-Norstein Bekkler’s lab (the Haunted House). I pay 10 silver points.

-….Vicks? Wedge? Piette? Is this actually Final Fantasy in disguise? (or the other way around?)

It’s like 3 card monty with soldiers. I lose both times.

-Got 20 silver points back on my card with another Catalack win (always bet on Catalack!) and this time I guessed correctly. Got a “Piyozo” doll. It’s not in my inventory… maybe it’s at home.

-Won again and got cat food. Nice.

-Farming strategy for silver: Bet on Catalack, then run over to what the Test of Strength about 5-6 times, and see if I won. Rinse, repeat.

-Tried the 40 silver game, where I have to mimic a Cronos. Boo! I call shenanigans. I had to press “R” to lift my right hand when he lifted his hand. I did, but the game meant house right and not stage right.

-Victory! That was… surprisingly tense. Now the clone will be at Cronos’s house. His mom is sure to be creeped out.

-Tried playing it for 80 silver, but no dice. I need “friends” (a party) to do that.

-Moved to the north end of the festival and immediately crashed into a girl knocking off her pendant (and ringing the bell, apparently a good sign). Returned it to her. Now we’ll walk around the festival together.


Marle.

-Hey, new party member with a portrait that’s FIERCE AS FUCK!

-King’s daughter is a “tomboy.”

-Lucca’s daughter made a battle bot. Let’s try fighting!

LOLOL IT SINGS AND BLASTS MUSIC



-About to move on to the main show at the fair, but first want to stop home to check out the prizes.

---

Crono’s Home

-Aw, introducing Marle to his mom.

-OK SOME SHENANIGANS ARE AFOOT. Marle isn’t just RandomNewGirl004. The mom knows her.



-The Piyozo in Squall’s room plays a lullaby, and the clone just does weird poses.

---

Leene Square

-Melchior, the swordsmith, wants to buy Marle’s pendant.

-Got some equipment for these two.

-Just noticed: just as Crono is “Lightning,” Marle is “Water.” Hm.

-Fought the robot Gato a few times (since I can heal up nearby with a bag of food that keeps replenishing).

-Ok, let’s try the 80 silver game… oh. Marle becomes a hostage immediately. Boo. Crono has to save her by fighting off monsters. What kind of game is that? How is that fun for her?

-It’s tough. Lost.



Gonna farm up some more silver.

-Aw, helped find a girl’s lost cat! What if that side quest sets up a whole epic line of cat saving? And the final boss is a cat-napper? And this just turns into the cat version of 101 Dalmations where we have to stop the final boss from making cat-fur clothing?

-Ow. Tried a mini-game to chug soda cans and after just a couple of tries my thumb hurts and not close to winning.

-AHA! I see what “Dual Tech” and “Triple Tech” are. Marle just learned Aura (a heal), and simultaneously both party members have access to Aura Whirl. It’s like the Band attacks from FFIV:TAY.


And it looks amazing.

-Lost again at the 80. It’s damn tricky.

-Farmed up another 80 silver from Gato, and going to save before I try again. Sure, that may be cheap, but I don’t want to have to keep farming for this mini-game. Going to try not using save states is all.

-I keep trying to knock all the monsters back evenly. Maybe I should focus on one first?

-Progress that time. Killed one, but then got overwhelmed. Using the sprint button also helped.

-GOT IT! Lol my reward is a cat. Of course it is.

-After a bit of dancing, ready to head to Lucca.

---

Lucca and Taban

-Lucca possibly created a transported. Beam us up.

-Man, fuck this town. Everyone in the crowd is ripping on Lucca! “Her glasses are so thick she could probably see the moon!” “Look at that girl’s glasses!” “Her inventions never work!” Hey, guys! How about you eat a bag of hell?

-Marle enthusiasm is great.

-It works, woohoo!



-Marle wants to try now.

-Uh oh. The music stops. She’s gonna disappear, isn’t she?

-uhhhhhh



-it activated the pendant, made Marle disappear, and opened a portal.

It sucked Marle’s sparkly essence in, leaving the pendant on the warp pad.

-Lucca says what Crono’s mom did: that Marle seemed familiar.

-Crono sees only one choice: takes the pendant, steps onto the portal, and tells Lucca to fire it up. He follows through the portal.

---

Next time: to the other side.