Monday, April 25, 2016

Coldrun Fitness - April 25, 2016: Mindset

Going through Nerd Fitness Academy's initial mindset elements.  Starting measurements.  Investigating my reasons.  Initial goal setting.  Environmental change.


Nerd Fitness Academy - Notes

Mindset/Philosophy
  • Three goals to keep in mind: be happy, be healthy, feel and look good.  Crucial foundation here, and I love the way NFA articulates it.  If I am meeting two of these (looking good and being healthy) without being happy - let's say, by eating consistently low calorie amounts - it won't be sustainable.  Fun isn't optional.
  • Strive for efficiency.  I have a lot on my plate, and I don't need to shift massive quantities of time towards fitness-related activities to be successful. 
  • Do my best to avoid two in a row.  When I slip up from a given goal (and I will), try not to let it devolve into negative momentum.
  • Small tweaks, small changes, built gradually.
Initial Measurements
  • Weight: 253.8 lbs
  • Neck: ~16.5 in.
  • Chest: ~47 in.
  • Bicep: 13+ in. each
  • Waist: 47 in.
  • Hips: ~44 in.
  • Thighs: ~27 in. each
  • Calves: ~18.5 in. each
 Why am I doing this?
  • Important to nail this down.  It's easy to start change, but what will help sustain me when it gets touch?
  • Try to get beyond the vague, surface, "I want to get healthy."  I mean, I do want to get healthy.  Why else?  What's at the core?
    • Yes, I want to look better and feel more confident in myself.  That's true.
    • Yes, I also want to improve my health.  It'll be good to walk and bike and fence without feeling winded, and reduce my risk of heart disease.  Also true.  Also important.
    • One more.  Something more personalized.
    • I've allowed my life to stall out, excusing myself from challenging different areas.  I don't want to stay in this static stage.  I want to see what's next.  
Goal Setting
  • Make the goal identity-based, about who I will be, not about what I "should" do.
  • Employ language of "doesn't" rather than "can't."  Like, "I don't eat junk" rather than "I can't eat junk."  Incorporate it into identity.  Remove restraint/emotion from the equation, as the Academy guide puts it.
  • I have to create five goals.  Who I want to be.  Let's aim for small and specific.
    1. I will be someone who only rarely eats sweets.
    2. I will be someone who eats a limited number of calories rather than binging.
    3. I will be someone who fences actively and competitively.
    4. I will be someone who eats most meals at home rather than out.
    5. I will be someone who holds weight around 190 lbs.
Environmental Change
  • Last element of the "mindset" unit.
  • Make six changes to my environment, my home or work.  
  • For the first three, remove steps to building a good habit.  For the second three, add new barriers to prevent falling back into old habits. 
  • ...
  • I sat here for a while trying to think of habits, and I just don't know.  I can definitely think of habits, but they feel forced and out of place.  So I'm tabling this for the moment. I'll try to create six solid habits as I continue through the units.