Monday, January 18, 2016

FFVIII – Part 36: To Kill a Sorceress



Summary: The team meets Caraway, learns the plan to kill the Sorceress. Inventory management.


Galbadia – Overworld
-The Brothers’ abilities seem very defensive in nature. +HP, Cover, Defend. And yet I think I’ll start out with Str-J. Doesn’t take up an ability slot. Junctioning them to Irvine.

-hahaha im crying cant see the computer screen bcause im crying

-I just used “Brothers” as a GF ability. It seems to be an earthquake ability (since it missed the flying monster I was fighting), but the two brothers emerged from the earth, flung the turf with the monster on it up into the air, and then played rock-paper-scissors to see who had to headbutt the flying piece of turf to destroy it.




When Sacred lost, he got this “ah shit. really?” look on his face before Minotaur threw him up to the sky to crack the earth.

The ability is called “Brotherly Love.” Beautiful. XD XD

---

Deling City – Caraway Mansion

-Gave the correct ID number and into the mansion we go.

-Squall asks himself something I’m wondering too: why is a Galbadian general working with the Balamb and Galbadia Gardens against the Galbadian president? I have two theories. One, he thinks the Sorceress is bad for Galbadia. A second could be that this is a trap and Caraway is really with the sorceress.

The first seems more likely than the second to me since Rinoa knows and probably trusts Caraway, but the Sorceress is a mind-controller. Even if she’s right in her trust, he might not be himself.

These aren’t Squall’s theories though. He says to himself “nm, I’m not meant to question.” I think that’s wrong.



-Hm. Never mind on Rinoa trusting Caraway. Before we enter, she pleads with Squall to not leave her alone in the house. Yikes.

-We enter a waiting room. Apparently left there for a while. Everyone is antsy. RInoa goes to see what’s up.


”Oh, btw, nbd, just fyi…”

WTFFFFFF “oh by the way” indeed. How is a Timber princess – a DEPOSED Timber princess, no less – related to a Galbadian general? His daughter? Definitely want to know the story here.

-A dude who I assume is General Caraway enters. This awesome music kicks in which reminds me of the Sorceress’s tune in a way that creeps me out. Maybe it’s the harpsichord.

(Incidentally, if you want to hear some kickass harpsichord, head to YouTube for Emilie Autumn’s “Opheliac.”)

-Yeah, Caraway is her dad. He wants her to stay out of this operation because she’s not a SeeD. Hey: she does like double the damage that Irvine does. Just saying.

-Her dad acknowledges that having a daughter in the Timber rebellion is a problem. Not sure what’s going on here.

-Squall tries to tell him that the SeeDs answer to Rinoa after this mission, and Caraway seems to get testy.



-Down to business. I have to make another party, one with Irvine and Squall in it. Selphie is my lowest-level member, so I pop her in.

---
Around Deling City

-The full team – including Caraway and the SeeDs not in the party – walk out of the mansion and across town as Caraway briefs them.

-The sorceress’s name is Edea.

-Tonight’s ceremony is to commemorate Edea’s appointment. It’ll take place at the Presidential Residence.

-Two parties. A Gateway Party will enter there and stand guard or something while the sniper team snipes.

-Oh, I thought we’d kill the Sorceress [I go back and forth whether to capitalize this word; I think I will] during the ceremony, but it’ll happen in the parade afterwards.

-The Sniper Team will sneak within the residence up to a clock tower. We have to wait in there until 20:00 exactly. Caraway tells us the Sorceress’s route in the parade. Not sure the Gateway Team’s role in all this.



-Ah. He’s telling us. At 20:00, the Sorceress will be inside the gateway and the Gateway Team will lock her in. The clock will bring out the Sniper Team, and they’ll take her down. [Again: I give this a 0% chance to work.]

-That’s the plan. It’s a good one (and one I give close to a 0% chance to work because of how early in the game it is). The team breaks up. We can wander the city a bit and report back to Caraway’s residence when ready.

-Checked out the Presidential Residence for the heck of it, but can’t get in.

---

Inventory Management

-It hits me as I walk around the Deling City Shopping Arcade that I know jack about a lot of items in my inventory. I don’t like that. Time to check them out.

-I got to use Irvine’s limit break once, so at least I now know what the ammo is for.

-M-Stone Piece, Magic Stone, and Wizard Stone. I think these are fodder for the GF abilities where they convert them to spells. Also some of them are for weapon upgrades I think.

-Spider Web is for Quistis to learn blue magic, but she already learned the spells it teaches. I’ll sell it.

-Shear Feather: “Bird’s Feather that flies on wind.” No idea. I have like 30 of them though. Same with Venom Fang, Windmill, and Fish Fin.

-Some of these items seem to increase compatibility with different GFs. Like, a Steel Orb boosted Squall’s compatibility with Diabolos.



-Silence Powder increases compatibility with Siren, but Poison Powder doesn’t. Hm.

-Sold off my Weapons Mon Mar and the various Pet Pals volumes. I already got what I needed from them and didn’t see a reason to keep them.

[Non-rhetorical question for y’all: how do I get more Weapons catalogues to learn new weapon upgrade recipes? (Not specific locations, but general means of acquisition.) From random places on the street/in houses/etc., or from a type of store I’ll come across, or does it vary?]

-Saved outside Caraway’s mansion.

---

Next time: putting the plan into action!