Monday, January 18, 2016

Wildstar - Level 0: Forlla Unfurled

A new project!

I like WoW, and my Final Fantasy project isn't going anywhere, but I decided to take on something new.  I dabbled in Wildstar when it came out but haven't really touched it.  It looked fun and is now free-to-play.  Time for another try.

(Part of what got me revved up for this was a First Impressions video by the Lazy Peon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdAntKMOTcM )

The gist of this new project: I create a character in Wildstar and every time I hit a new level, I post about the stuff I do at that level.  The zone I'm in, the story, the mechanics, the difficulty, the professions, the dungeons, the new abilities I get or choices I get - WHATEVER.

Also, I don't really care about spoilers too much for Wildstar.  MMOs are different in that way to me than the FF project, where I hate even the smallest expectation spoilers.  If you post, just try not to reveal massive story spoilers for Wildstar.  Mechanic discussion and expectation spoilers are totally fine.


When in doubt: use rot13.com.

The pace for this project will be super casual.  I plan 2-3 posts per week, Monday and Friday with Wednesday if time allows.

LET'S GO!!

Character Creation

Sci fi isn't usually my thing.  When I start a fantasy game, I usually have a very specific archetype of a character in mind.  A human mage or an orc warrior or something that speaks to me for whatever the setting.

I don't have that for Wildstar.  I want to randomly roll a character and see what develops.  I'll go to random.org when I have a choice.  Like, if I am picking between four races, I'll list them and go to random.org, randomize a number between 1 and 4, and pick the race I associate with that number.

There's a guild that interests me on the Entity server on the Exile side, but beyond that faction the character will be random.

---

Experience: Interesting!  They tailor the starting experience to my prior MMO experience.  I can pick "Novice," "New to Wildstar," or "Veteran."  I go with "New to Wildstar."

Faction: The Exiles are rebels looking for a home.  I get vaguely Browncoat vibes from them.  Cool.

Race (1-4): Granok - Mordesh - Human - Aurin -- #4, Aurin

A small race with ears and tails.  The Dominion destroyed their planet.  Led by Queen Myala Everstar.  If I remember correctly, they're kind of elfish in terms of loving nature.

Gender (1-2): Female - Male -- #1, Female

No real preference here.  Female Aurin it is!

Class (1-3): Esper - Spellslinger - Stalker -- #1, Esper

The description here shows espers to be healers or spellcasters, with mind-based magic.  I like it!  Always interested in mental superpowers.

Path (1-4): Explorer - Scientists - Settler - Soldier -- #4, Soldier

I have vague memories of what the path in Wildstar means.  Side quests or something?  Again, no preference, so soldier sounds good.

I don't roleplay in terms of participating in "roleplay" in taverns or guilds and the like, but I do like to have a story for my character, a personality.  I already see the beginnings of this character.  A small and brutally fierce soldier who kicks ass with mind-magic?  Yes please.

A quote from the Dresden Files book pops to mind, where Sanya describes the radiant Karrin Murphy as "tiny, but fierce!"  Maybe this Aurin will be like that.

Customization (1-10): #9

The game gives me a TON of customization options.  I won't touch them.  This will be a randomized character, and that applies also to appearance.  The game provides a "Randomize All" button.  random.org picked #9, so I'll click that "Randomize All" button nine times.  Let's see what she looks like.



Big mass of light blue hair, pink/purple skin, bright blue fox tail.  Badass.

Name (1-10): #2, Forlla Needlefern

First and last names can also be randomized.  The second randomization gives me Forlla Needlefern.