Friday, January 29, 2016

Wildstar - Level 5: Tree Doctor

Summary: Forlla tries to cure the Elderoot Tree.


Story

-The now-awakened Elderoot Tree is in pain.  It wants to trade knowledge for pain relief.  We have to save Livingroot Keepers, which I guess are tree doctors, and destroy parasites eating his brain/roots.

-Another thing Wildstar has done exceptionally well is make the aliens look fun and weird as hell.


A Livingroot Keeper (left) blissfully unaware that she's about to become a parasite's snack.

-Cool!  I killed the parasite's queen at the bottom of a cave, and the game then made all the respawned parasites that I'd have to run through to get out of the cave "wary" of me.  They don't attack me any more - I can just run out.


Parasite queen.

-Queen Myala strikes me as a bit naive:

"I can feel Elderoot's relief!  It was his sickness that made the forest angry.  Now that he knows we mean him no harm, we can be friends!"

On one hand, I get where she's coming from.  She's queen of a race of chipper little forest elves, so she's probably inclined to be super trustful towards trees.  On the other hand, as a player, the Elderoot Tree has "boss fight" written all over him.

Or maybe that's just my character, Forlla, showing through as an Aurin soldier.

-Hit level 6.  Next time, we'll see who's right.  Queenly optimism or soldierly cynicism.

---

Mechanics

-When I started at level one, I was given a Protostar's Revolutionary Rucksack, Level One.  It gave me some back space when I opened it iirc, but even more interesting was that it gave me a Protostar's Revolutionary Rucksack, Level Two to open at level 5.

I just opened it up, and it gave me even MORE bag space.  Yay!  Plus a Level Three version of the back for when I hit 7.  So ever increasing bag space and possibly other goodies is a nice small thing to look forward to.

-Only one new ability this time: Reap.  It does great damage on an 8 second cooldown, and can only be used with two psi points already.

The current priority list I try to follow:

1. Crush when an enemy's not about to die and is casting something.
2. Mind Blast when I have 4-5 psi points and it won't do ridiculous overkill
3. Reap.
4. Concentrated Blade when I have 0-3 psi points and the enemy is not going to die in the next 3 seconds.
5. Telekinetic Strike.