Monday, April 20, 2015

FFVII – Part 52: RTS in my RPG

Summary: We backtrack to Fort Condor, where we fight off Shinra’s attacking forces in an RTS-style mini-game. Huge Materia acquired. One to go.


North Corel


*CRASH*

-At least we didn’t have to do that all over again.

-Some dude brought us to his home to recover, so there’s some time elapse.

-Barret surveys the wrecked down, and becomes wracked with guilt. He (not really, but sorta, but not really) failed the town again. Please don’t tell me he’s going to stay here to help rebuild it.

-The Golden Saucer is closing down.

-A woman in town gives us a memento from her husband and asks us to stop the meteor. It’s a limit skill, “Catastrophe,” but as with Cosmo Memory, none of my current party can use it.

-And as a bonus, Shinra soldiers took the Huge Materia from the wreckage.

-The ticket person at the Ropeway confirms that the Golden Saucer is closed. However, the Ropeway’s still open, I head over there to check it out anyway.

-Yeah, it’s closed. Dio’s standing outside there, and without lights or sound the place is creepy anyway.


”Five Nights at Dio’s.

-Back in North Corel, a kid offers to sell us a “glowing rock” (materia must be) for 50k. I’d buy it, but I don’t have the money.

---

Overworld

-I still don’t remember the exact layout of the world, so not exactly sure where our next stop is.

-Things aren’t looking promising outside of North Corel. The desert is impassable, and I don’t feel like walking a whole lot, so going to backtrack to the Highwind.

-Really boring fights, since I outlevel everything here.

-Got back to the Highwind and I’m looking for Fort Condor. Can’t find it though after about five minutes of flying.

-LOL WHOOPS – was looking on the wrong continent. Found it on the east continent.

---

Fort Condor

-No one out front to greet me.

-Someone’s inside. Says Shinra’s changing their strategy from their prior siege. They want to just flat out destroy the reactor and take what’s inside.

-OH GOD IT’S THE RTS-SEEMING MINI GAME

-AND I BARELY HAVE ANY MONEY


UM WHAT OK

-The fight’s happening. I have almost literally no idea what I’m doing or what buttons do what.

-Really not a fan of this. I mean, I get how it could be fun, but just hoping to get it over with.

-CHRIST JUST END ALREADY

-They keep coming. I get now what that I have to hold a line, but I’m broke and going to lose. FUCK. I wasted a ton of gil at the start guarding the top fo the hill with fire turrets and shit, and got overwhelmed. Fhadjklsfhadjklsfhlds



-This is going to take forever to lose. Just gonna reset. Grrrrr.

[Later edit: this isn’t really legitimate dislike. It was more frustration with seeming to be thrust into some where I didn’t remember the rules or know how to play. I still don’t love it, but not because it’s bad or anything. It’s just a kind of game that’s not really up my alley.]

-Ok. I have a much better sense of what the matchups are, and eventually I win mostly by spending a ton of money. Hurray!

-WHAT???> NO!!!



-The condor’s egg erupted, burning the condor and knocking it off its perch. Something phoenixy?

-Yes. Got a Phoenix materia, and saw a yellow baby bird hatch and fly away.



Was the bird the Huge Materia?

-It was not. A dude actually had Huge Materia the whole time, and tricked us into thinking we were defending the fort to protect the Materia. Well-played (if deceptive). He gives it to us.

---

Next time: Onto Mideel to check on Cloud and Tifa, and then to Junon for the last Huge Materia.