Saturday, August 2, 2014

FFIV After Years – Part 41: A Song of Ice (The Crystals)

Summary: Our party pursues the path of the Earth Crystal into the Lodestone Cavern, now blessedly magnetic. They run into approximately 73,015 random encounters, but eventually make it to the crystal room and fight Shiva. They win the fight, and manage to unshackle Shiva rather than killing her. The frozen Leonora and Palom become free, as does the entirety of Troia. The two of them join us, and we see the eternal Baron confrontation still going on.

---

Lodestone Cavern

-YES!! No more magnetic pull. No need to switch gear to wood and cloth.

-My party needs to get their heads out of their asses. They keep getting back-attacked and ambushed.

-Lot of monsters.

-Chimeras, cave bats, nagas. Chimeras, cave bats, nagas…

-SO MANY MONSTER. Stop it, dungeon.

-Blah. BORING.

-This makes me wonder. What is it that makes some dungeons interesting and others not? Why does this place feel particularly boring? Well, a lot of it feels pointless, like I go down a road, hit four encounters I’ve seen before, and hit a dead end. I then turn back, and hit another four encounters when I just want to get to something a bit new.

This means that when I’m in a dungeon I already didn’t love, with monsters I don’t really like (the cave bats and their Bloodfeast cast times), down paths I already know, the place already has a few strikes against it.

-Crystal chamber.


Palom and Leonora, still frozen.

-SHIVA!

-Luca: “Give me back my Palom!” Is FFIV: TAY going the love triangle route?

-…Ok. We were doing ok against Shiva, but then Rydia said that Shiva had stopped, and we should stop too to let her regain her senses. The problem is that a spell already was queued. It hit, and Shiva spammed Blizzaga until we died.

-Attempt #2: Way more careful this time, and managed my DPS. Just cast Firaga and healed up. It worked, and Shiva returned to Rydia as a summonable.


Shiva unshackled.

-Palom and Leonora awoke!

---

Troia

-Immediately ported out to Troia. I’m happy that we’

-Back to Troia. Palom will come with us, but he’s going to hang in the basement of the ship (not sure on nautical terminology; is it the hull?).

-Leonora’s coming too!

---

Baron

-Flash over to the confrontation in the throne room.

-Evil Moon Girl just flat-out snagged the crystals from Rosa.

-Kain’s portrait is disconcertingly similar to Cecil’s. Kind of cool, actually.

-EMG says the crystals are “back” in their grasp. Is her race or creators or whatever the people who made the crystals in the first place then?

---

Next time: the world tour continues.