Sunday, August 31, 2014

FFV – Part 7: Whomped in Walse

Summary: We fly south to Walse. Check out the town and the surrounding area, and explore the castle. The castle has a lot to explore, and two fights that destroy me at this point in the game: Jackanapes and Shiva. We try to get King Walse to shut down the amplification machines on his Water Crystal, but he says no. A meteor crashes near the Tower of Walse, where the Water Crystal is housed.

---

Overworld

-FLY!!! Perfect music.

-Walse is south. Let’s explore there.

-I see a tower… “Tower of Walse.” I need King Walse’s permission to enter though.

-Found a town and castle.

---

Town of Walse

-I think I’ll make Bartz a monk and keep “Find Passages” active.

-Garula? I thought it was a bird, but looks like a land creature. Apparently it’s shy. Hm. Can’t interact with it.

-New magic. Apparently, time magic includes Mute, dunno why though, as well as regen, on tp of stuff like slow and haste.

-Iron Helm: “Look out for magnets.”

-Went out to fight a bit to get more gil for armor, and HOLY CRAP!! Bartz as a monk hits like a barefisted freight train.

---

Castle Walse

-Nice music again.

-Warning to not steal castle treasure.



Real warning, or just flavor text? [Note: like most of my non-mechanics questions in these notes, this is rhetorical.]

-Warned also that if I meet “Jackanapes” I’ll be in a world of shit.

-!!! THE ICE GODDESS SHIVA LIVES IN THE PALACE??? Just hanging out? Wow.

-WTF

-OW

-Ok. I went to the basement. And I found Jackanapes as a random encounter.


Makes me wonder what he’s guarding…

-I now know what being in a world of shit feels like. He’s an imp-looking mob that 1-2 shots my party members. I’ll come back later to see what he’s protecting.

---

Overworld Wandering

-Found a wild Garula!


Hi, Snuffleuppagus! FFV crossover with Sesame Street ftw.

Looks like an elephant or wooly mammoth. Aw. He didn’t fight back. I feel bad about attacking.

-Next time I saw him, I didn’t attack, but he just fled eventually.

---

Back to Castle Walse

-Found another exit to the castle moat, but nothing yet of interest out here.

-Jail. A thief named Lone Wolf with an actual wolf head and a random other prisoner asked me to let them out but that seemed like a bad idea when new in town. Sorry, guys.

-Found the castle’s Water Tower.

-Elf toads = TRES CREEPY.



-Faris learned Two-Handed, a knight skill. I unequipped her shield and now she hits like a beast.

-Bartz learned “Focus.” An active monk ability that causes double his already massive damage for a bit of wind-up time.

-If I’m back-attacked, can one party member switch everyone’s row at once, or each party member just has to switch their own row?

-The FFIII monk was so much worse than this. He had retaliation, but instead of a passive that always hit back when attacked, he had to use it as his ability for a turn instead of attacking and hope that the monster attacked him. It sucked. This monk is wonderful.

-At the top of the water tower, I see an orb.

-SHIVA.



-Aaaaand…. She whomped us. Second mob that causes me to just give up and come back later so far. She had three trash mobs with her, but it took all my effort to even burn through one of them let alone heal through her Blizzara. This place is tough.

She said something interesting though: something like, “to command me, you must defeat me.” Does this mean I’ll get summoner as a class, like Rydia style? Probably. That was the case in FFIII, and this game seems very similar to that.

-Reload. Back to the castle. Don’t mess with Jackanapes or Shiva. Got it.

-West of here is the Library of the Ancients. Ok.

-Enough faffing around. Let’s see the king.

-We ask him to stop amplifying the water crystal, and he won’t. I’m confused – was it made clear at some point that the machines amplifying the crystals’ powers were the cause of their problems, or just a guess by our party?

-Another meteor crashes! It falls near the Tower of Walse. All the king’s horses and all the king’s men head there, and time for us to follow.

-I think I’m going to swap Galuf from Blue Mage to Black Mage while making Learning my equipped ability, since not much currently happening beyond Aero for blue magic.

---

Next time: Tower of Walse