Wednesday, August 27, 2014

FFV – Part 3: Light Warriors Redux

Summary: Our party enters the Wind Shrine, and climbs to the top. King Tycoon is already dead and the Wind Crystal is shattered. The power of the Wind Crystal, and that of the other three crystals around the world, flow into our party members, turning them into Light Warriors 2.0. Tutorial on the job system and ability system.

---

Wind Shrine

-Sort of sad, eerie music in here.

-There are people here. They tell us that the wind stopped and now monsters are in the shrine. The king went to the top floor, and these folks locked themselves in to stay safe.

-Hee. FFI started when the king sent us to rescue the princess. FFV starts now with the princess joining us to rescue the king.

-“Consecrated Circle” I guess = FFV’s save point.

-New enemies here: Moldwind (gross) and a jester-looking thing named Mani Wizard. It uses an ability called “Magic Stick.” Ok, 50 Cent.

-Empty treasure room on the 3rd floor. Not this again. Had enough empty rooms in FFI and II.

-Looks like a griffon or sphinx guarding the fourth floor.



“Wing Raptor!” Cool model, but not too tough (as is to be expected with a first boss). Attack normally, and stop attacking when it covers up.



-Faris is my all-star so far in terms of damage.

-We’ve reached the crystal room, where we see crystal shards. No King Tycoon sightings.

-Flashing lights? Huh? Coming from…

-Ok, we zoom out to the world map to another town, another crystal room. The fire crystal.

-AND ITS POWER ZOOMS TO FARIS. “Courage the essence of flame.”

-Another to Lenna, from a crystal in another town. “Devotion, the essence of water.”

-From a crystal in a desert town to Galuf: “Hope, the essence of earth.”

-Bartz gets the remainder of power from the shattered wind crystal. “Passion, the essence of wind.”


We just need the power of Heart.

-King Tycoon’s ghost appears to the party. He announces that they are now the chosen Light Warriors. SO COOL to see this story mechanic back from FFI. I’m excited!


Is it shaped like a Cloud?

-Yeah. Sounds very FFIII-ish.

-Bye, King Tycoon. I literally hardly knew ye.

-The crystal fragments on the ground hover over to our party, empowering them.

-wait huh

-“KnightMonk” what

-“Blue MageThief” WAIT

-“Black MageWhite Mage” WAIT WAIT WAIT WHAT

-Are we returning to the FFIII style of class/job selection? YES!!!!!!!!!!

-p.s. wtf is a blue mage? Excited to try that out.

-Also, now Bartz’s weird line earlier makes sense about hearing the wind calling him. I guess it wasn’t (just) a FF-style pick-up line for Lenna.

---

Tutorial Screen

-LOL Boko is my tutor.


Professor Boko.

-Aright. Tell me what’s what, Boko.

-To my simultaneous relief and disappointment, he doesn’t just go “Kweh! Kweh kweh kweh, kwehkweh!” He speaks English.

-Ok. So the crystals grant job powers. I’m guessing that any party member can be one job at once, but can switch somehow like FFIII.

-There are “job commands” and “abilities.”

-PHEW. When I switch jobs on a party member, their gear gets optimized. That’ll probably save a lot of hassle later on.

-I get what jobs are now I think, but what about abilities?

-Looks like I gain ability points for a certain job as I win fights. So if a character is in White Mage form and learns some kind of heal, then that ability is theirs. If I switch jobs to a Thief, I’ll still be able to draw on that ability. VERY interesting.

-Wow.

-I’m just… the sheer number of possibilities and combinations must be ginormous if they have the same number of classes as FFIII. And if they’re introducing “blue mage” this early, I have to imagine that there are even MORE classes than FFIII.

-I really hope I get to be a Geomancer again. Easily my favorite FFIII class.

---

Next time: Not sure. Find some other town with news about the mysterious evil presence.