Friday, August 8, 2014

FFIV After Years – Part 46: Baigan, Reagan, Palestine (The Crystals)

Summary: The entire gang – and I mean the ENTIRE gang, it’s a full house on that ship – lands the Lunar Whale on Moon #2. I gather the main party that I plan to finish the game with (unless the ones left behind get auto-leveled up, in which case I may swap around a bit as I go). The surface of Moon #2 is really tough, and we move on towards the Lunar Subterrane, which looks depressingly similar to the cave of the same name on Moon #1. And then, the game throws a curveball: Baigan.

---

Lunar Whale


Cecil, not in great shape.

-THE SECOND MOON seized the whale? Gravity or something more sentient?

-What if… what if the second moon itself is the villain? I mean, I doubt it, but the image is kind of terrifying anyway.



-Cecil’s awake! …Well, no, but he’s definitely affected by the moon in some way.

-Crash landing incoming.

-Whoa! I can change my party and customize them. Sweet mechanic. Going to go with my highest level party:

Golbez (43)
Rosa (30)
Cecil (40)
Rydia (37)
Luca (36)

-My working plan is to stick with this party rather than swapping around. I hope that’s viable.

---

Moon #2

-Moon #2’s lack of music is creepy.

-Hm. Cecil sucks. Gonna replace him with Edge or Kain.

-Oh, OF COURSE HE SUCKS, Coldrun. You just got like a four cutscene things showing how Cecil’s mind is not in fighting shape, but still brought him into your party. Smooth move.

-Outside of my ship are a vendor and a non-functional interdimensional elevator.

-FUCK GRAY COEURLS. They are seriously brutal mobs.

-And now I encounter a boss-style Gray Coeurl, that can’t be “Pressured” by Golbez.

---

Subterrane

-Is this place just a reskin of Moon #1’s Lunar Subterrane? If so, bad job game. Major league bad job.

-Pile of broken glass near one of the doors? Why?

-Found a crystal! Um. Randomly. Just on B3.

-Someone’s waiting? The crystal shatters. Out pops…

-…Baigan?

-………..

-…………………

-………………………

-I’m really confused. If you gave me 50 chances to guess who popped out of the crystal, what villain awaited me, Baigan wouldn’t have been on the list. This is so weird, and so intriguing.

-He’s begging?!?!?!? “



-Doesn’t seem like the typical “Muahahhaha! I live once more, and can avenge myself on you meddling fools!” speech. Although in fairness, we only saw Baigan under Cagnazzo. No idea what he was like otherwise.

-“Because… it still lives…” WHO? Zeromus?

-At least all the party had the same questions as me.

---

Somewhere at Night

-Ceodore and Ursula. Cecil is still unchanged.

-I like this conversation. Ceodore’s changed. He felt family was a burden, and had to learn how to see it otherwise, and did from Kain, Biggs, Wedge, and his dad’s other comrades. Ursula can kind of understand.


Nice parallel themes in these stories.

-Learned “Twin Rush” band for Ceodore and Ursula.

---

Next time: going down.