Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Nerd Fitness Academy - Part 2: Why and Wherefore


Mindset, continued


#3) "Find Your Big WHY"

Although the goal of the program isn't overwhelming change (which, by definition, would overwhelm me), the goal does seem to be significant change.  This section asks me to make clear why I'm doing this.  I imagine that without a good and honest reason to draw on, my normal response to the stress of change will be to fall back on poor habits.  He quotes a writer, Victor Frankl: "Those who have a 'why' can bear with almost any 'how.'"  This seems a bit of an exaggeration to me, but perhaps a difficult "how" can be aided by a proportionally strong "why" at least.

It must be deep.  Not Proust-deep or anything, but more than just "I want to lose weight to feel better or look better."  That's a general answer, but doesn't feel like it really ties into my life and motivations.  

So here goes:

I want to get fit because I am tired of hiding.  I feel ashamed, unclean, and out of control most of the time, and dodge social interaction and even seeing family because of how gross I feel in my own skin.  Even if those I'm around don't care, I see others as mirrors reflecting how I feel about myself. I believe that if I can get into better shape, those mirrors may reflect something better, and may open things in my life up.

---

#4) "The Art of Goal Setting"

The last couple of sections were about finding my starting point, and why I'm trying to get somewhere else.  This section is about naming "somewhere else," naming five specific goals.  A few useful and interesting tips in generating some goals:

-Make them "identity-based," about who I will be, not what I will do.
-"Don't" over "Can't."  Active choice rather than involuntary restrictions.
-Err on the side of smaller goals. Something that feels really doable.  Build momentum.

1) I will be someone who usually drinks water.  Over the next month, I will keep water, a bottle or cup, near me once a day, four days each week.
2) I will be someone who bikes regularly.  Over the next month, I will bike for at least ten minutes, two days each week.
3) I will be someone who eats in regularly.  Over the next month, I will cook dinner or lunch at home two days each week.
4) I will be someone who does push-ups regularly.  Over the next month, I will do two sets of push-ups, two days each week.
5) I will be someone who snacks on fruit regularly.  Over the next month, I will eat a fruit once per day, two days each week.

---

Huzzah!  After completing those two quests, reached level two.  Like most well-designed RPGs (apologies to Guild Wars 2), I imagine the early levels will be easier than later levels.  Cool.  Momentum matters.