Saturday, August 16, 2014

FFIV After Years – Part 51: The Ghosts of Final Fantasy Past (The Crystals)


Summary: We move into the alien depths of Moon #2, and things get retro. We just dealt with the FFIV elemental fiends, but apparently they weren’t enough, so the Evil Moon Boss To Be Named Later gave us the Final Fantasy I fiends to fight again, each emerging from a crystal.

---

Depths – B1

-Huh.

-Um. I think this is a moon garden of some kind? Definitely feels new. I mean, it’s old, it seems like ruins, but a new landscape.

-The music lets us know we’re definitely not in Kansas. It’s sort of dreamy and meandering.



---

Depths – B2

Not much to say here. Monsters, but nothing special.

---

Depths – B3

-Blue Dragon! Red, too. As long as I just melee and don’t cast, I don’t incur scary retaliation (Ice Storm) and can survive.

-Lots of Dark Sages, Armored Fiends, and Moonmaidens.

---

Depths – B4

-Not much still. Got some new armor: a Protect Ring for Rosa and a Brave Suit for Edge. I hope they spice the depths up soon.

---

Depths – B5

-Rest. Rosa and Cecil. Cecil felt empathy for Golbez’s situation, when they stole his mind. Nice parallel.


Mind control is no fun.

-Another crystal! Uh oh. “???: Hee hee hee hee.”

-fdnajklsfndajklsfadsjk

-IT’S MARILITH, the Fiend of Fire from FFI. WTF is she doing in the crystal in FFIV?


Handsy McBladestorm.

-Fight wasn’t that tough. Blizzaga, melee, and heals.

-Will Tiamat, Kraken, and Lich be next?

-The answer is yes. Lich. This floor I guess is FFI redux, though how they’ll fit this in with the story I have no idea.


Bored of terrorizing the good people of Melmond.

-Lich was easy too. Firaga, melee, heals.

-OH NO, “CHAOS KNIGHT.” These were the worst in FFII! IIRC, they were the guys who would do massive damage to us and convert 100% of the damage they did into healing themselves. A pack of them was brutal, but the one I met here wasn’t that bad.

-Next crystal: Kraken.


I’m torn between my terror of sea monsters and dying from laughter at the look on his face and the majestic purple wizard cape.

-He’s much tougher. Rydia’s still my MVP with Thundaga, but it’s tougher because he retaliated to melee attacks with Constrict, leaving so much of my party often paralyzed.

-Last crystal: Tiamat.


I knew I should have listened to my father. He's always telling me, "Son, never anger multi-headed dragons that shoot laser barrages."

Definitely the toughest. I seem to remember him in FFI being weak to Bio, but no such luck here. I still am not sure what he’s weak to. He nearly destroyed my party with Thermal Rays for major AoE damage, but Spider Silk to slow him midway through helped a metric ton.

-LOL - Edge: “Zeromus’ moon had nothing on this one.” Damn skippy.

-Chaos Knights here cast “Berserk” on my party members. Berserk on Rosa = bad, but Berserk on Edge makes him into even more of a beast.

---

Next time: More of the Depths.