Monday, November 9, 2015

FFVII Dirge of Cerberus – Part 25: Super Ninja Radiance

Summary: Vincent continues his trek through Deepground. Great fight with Nero that goes surprisingly well. After Nero’s second wind, an enthusiastic ninja saves the day.


Outside the Void

-Vincent pops out of the void back into the city. I was expecting a Nero boss fight on emerging, but Vincent’s alone.

Someone’s hurling exploding barrels at me through a window.


”Donkey Kong Country” crossover?

-crap, a timer popped up. 30 seconds.

-…And it went away immediately. I must’ve missed something. Ok.

-Came across a puzzley area where I’m supposed to collect four items. Only found one. It’s a big open area and I think I did something in the wrong order – used a key card where I shouldn’t have or something. Feels like a bonus, so I won’t sweat it too much.

-Big open area ahead of me. Now THIS feels like boss time.

-Yup. Nero sneaks up on me and introduces himself.



I seem to remember him describing some kinship with Omega when we first saw him through Cait Sith’s eyes, though not sure of the nature of it. None of the other Tsviets described Omega as a brother. Something unique to Nero maybe?

-Note to self before I start this fight: it’ll probably be tough. I’ll probably die. Stay cool. Learn a bit about each phase, practice, and continue.

That’s my goal. Not winning (though I want to win), but staying relatively calm.

-Oh! Nero’s not calling OMEGA his brother; he’s calling WEISS his brother. He describes the relationship as love. The only person who ever loved him, and the only person he’ll ever love. Hm.

-Nero has a vaguely German accent. He plays it cool about Shelke after Vincent asks (“Ah, yes… I do recall running into the lass… a feisty one, she is.”) Eventually, he admits she’s inside him, “lost like a little puppy.”

-Like the rest of the Tsviets, this guy is such a stereotypical villain and I kind of love it. Whereas Rosso was a cackling and bloodthirsty type, Nero is the more refined, Bond villain type. Not sure why I think that exactly, but something in his tone suggests that he’s cultured.


Nero the Sable, ready for battle.

-First phase: he just jumps shoots at me and jumps around a bit. I can wait between bursts and shoot him. There’s a boulder in the middle of the room I can use for cover.

-Second phase: Nero splits off into three clones. The three of them set up, then fire at me. After they finish firing, they take flight, move near me, and commence firing again. I have to run to new cover when they fly to me, and can shoot them safely during a window before they fly and after they finish shooting at me.


Attack of the clones.

-One clone down. Now instead of flying at me between bursts of firing, the remaining two clones use this whirlwind blade thing I have to avoid, but same principle as before. When they move towards me, avoid them and find new cover.

-Both clones down. One left. About 50%. He now flies into the air and shoots two purple balls at me as he cries out “Darkness reigns!”


Goodness gracious, great balls of shadow!

Next question I have to answer: are they dodgeable?

I can’t dodge them, but it could be because I need practice. Or maybe I’m supposed to take cover?

-YES! I found a big pillar that I can hide behind as he casts them and it blocks the bolts.

HJKDHSFJKLDS HAHA YES GOT HIM!!!

-Well, I got these phases at least. I wonder if he’ll pull an Azul and have a second form to fight. …yep. Sort of.

-He bounces back up, says he “has other matters to attend to,” and engulfs Vincent in void.

---

In the Void

-We see Vincent standing in the void, understandably unsure what to do.

-Cut to Shelke in her shield bubble.



The bubble is cracking.

-Vincent finds Shelke, basically tells here “let’s go,” and she says okay. LOLOL. Okay then. I guess that’s that. I assumed it’d be tougher to break out.

---

Outside the Void

-Woohoo! Vincent and Shelke tumble out of the void bubble, surprising Nero.

-He rallies quickly though. NERO: “I see. Soul wrought of terra corrupt. [from the poem about Omega] My darkness would have no control over you, would it?”

-I’m glad for this explanation. It wasn’t just that Shelke could’ve walked out at any time and didn’t; it was something about Vincent’s make-up that gave him (and perhaps those with him) protection from the void.

-OH GOD THE BEST

-THE

-BEST

-Nero is about to go on another evil Bond villain monologue about how he must try a different dance, but out of nowhere Yuffie’s glaives thunder down. We cut to her standing on a ruined wall. Her back is turned to Vincent and Nero for NO OTHER REASON THAN DRAMATIC EFFECT.

-Her monologue is amazing as always.




“Evildoers.” I’m dead. This me dead from awesome.

-Nero takes this as his cue to leave. “My brother calls.” He walks away. Vincent doesn’t pursue, but sees to the fallen Shelke.

-Stage complete.

---

Next time: Hm. Continuing to pursue Nero, Weiss, and Omega I suppose.