Monday, November 23, 2015

FFVII Dirge of Cerberus – Part 34: Vincent’s Valiant Time

Summary: Vincent’s final battle against Omega/Weiss. The epilogue.


Wherever We Are Inside Omega’s Brain/Core/Whatever

-Four tendrils come down from Omega and hook into Weiss’s back. They’re tied together now. I don’t know who the puppet is and who the puppeteer, but they’re now moving in synch.



-Boss fight time. The boss is “Omega Weiss.” I can shoot at him, and he throws out these volleys of purple projectiles that I have to shoot out of the sky before they hit me.

-He summons some tiles to block his way and throw them at me. I destroy some before they hit me, but not all.

-A hologram Weiss appears on the floor to slice and dice me a bit, but I just keep firing at the big floating Omega.

-The camera angle with Vincent’s wings makes it really tough for me to get a sense of what’s coming at me, what’s on the battlefield, what I have to hide behind or anything like that. So… I just keep firing and taking damage.



I whittle down the last bit of health. Whether that was its final form remains to be seen as it blows up.

-The Omega Weiss construct gets sucked into a black hole beneath it.

-Out in the “real world,” the Omega monster erupts and freezes over…

-OH SHIT



-I thought it was going to erupt and be destroyed, but it actually sprouts lifestream wings and starts to ascend.

-Vincent suicide divebombs into it.



OH BTW THIS HAS THE SIDE EFFECT OF BLOWING UP THE FUCKING PLANET WITH LIFESTREAM WOW



Nice visual.

-The sky clears. We rejoin the gang down below.

-And then the sky turns green with lifestream.

-Credits roll as purple balls fly down.



Is that Vincent? Is he dead? Is he alive? Is he now like Aeris, existing within the lifestream?

-I’m super confused, but I guess he beat Omega. Yay! I’m guessing he’s dead and that’s his soul or essence.

-The purple disperses. RIP Vincent. Dying to save the world’s not a bad way to go.

-Well, that’s “Dirge of Cerberus!”

-Interesting ending. Visually stunning. Like, majorly stunning. The final fight was awesome, and in a much different way than FFVII and Crisis Core.

The ending for FFVII’s base game was fist-pumping, as Sephiroth grew and grew to that angel form and got smacked down with that final move. Crisis Core’s ending was emotionally destructive. This was more surreal. It had beautiful visuals, and opted for something more abstract and surreal.

-wait there’s more

-At the end of the credits, we see Lucrecia’s body.

-Now a scene of a green field.

-The ruins of Midgar. (Reminding me a bit of the FFVII ending where we see Future!Nanaki and his pups running through the wild-reclaimed Midgar.)

-Shelke epilogue!

-SHELKE’S REBUILDING HER LIFE!



-SHELKE AND TIFA AND YUFFIE HANGING OUT AT A HOME

THIS IS LIKE WONDERFUL DOMESTIC AU FANFIC



SHELKE AND NANAKI WTFFFF THIS IS GREAT

---

MORE EPILOGUE??

-Vincent is talking to Lucrecia in the crystal.



Telling her “thank you,” what was in his heart as Shelke wanted. This seems to be an interlude for him, that moment before you depart to wherever you go when departed

-Vincent walks away from the crystal.

-Shelke’s outside.

-“Everyone’s waiting, Vincent Valentine.”



-HE’S ALIVE? Wow. That’s an unexpectedly happy ending. Tangent: weird and awesome to see Shelke no longer dressed like a Deepground soldier.



That’s “Dirge of Cerberus!” (For real, this time. I waited, staring at that “The End” scene for like forty seconds just to make super duper double dog sure. You never know with FF!)

---

Next time: final thoughts on Dirge of Cerberus.