Monday, October 5, 2015

FFVII Dirge of Cerberus – Part 10: Solid Cait

Summary: Cait Sith gets a solo adventure, sneaking (badly) around the Mako Reactor before meeting a new Deepground villain, Nero the Sable. A first glance at Omega, who may be an even Bigger Bad than Weiss.




Chapter 5: Solid Cait - Mako Reactor

-Is that chapter title a Metal Gear reference? I’ve heard of the game and seem to remember the main guy being called “Solid Snake,” but haven’t played the series beyond the NES version a million years ago.

-Sudden shift in scenery from Vincent to Cait Sith, falling down the side of a mako reactor.

-I’m really confused by Cait Sith. He seems to have not just a unique voice from Reeve, but also a unique personality. Much sillier and wackier, like “Roger Rabbit.” Is he more than just an elaborate ventriloquist’s puppet? I wonder.

Maybe it’s just that Reeve got used to making Cait Sith seem unique that the performance took on a life of its own. Or maybe Cait Sith is more than a ventriloquist’s puppet directly controlled by Reeve at all times, and has a significant degree of automation which includes the Scottish Roger Rabbit personality. That seems more likely.

-NO WAY

-NO FUCKING WAY

-I GET TO PLAY AS CAIT SITH

-LOLOL HIS MELEE ATTACK IS SWATTY HANDS


I must’ve done this attack like twenty times just giggling with joy at the swat animation.

-The music is like a cartoony variation on some secret mission theme. I love it. The piano and what sounds like a cello really make it work.

[Later edit: the more I listened to it through the stage, the less cartoony it sounded. It’s a solid, upbeat, jazzy tune. I really enjoyed it, and this is one of the ones I expect to listen to even after I beat Dirge of Cerberus.]

-No customization option, and no range attack. I wonder if I’ll get Cait Sith’s big moogle doll at some point.

CAIT SITH: “I can’t let anybody find me!”



Aha! This is a stealth mission.

-Lol. I died like immediately. But unlike the Crisis Core stealth mission, I know what I did wrong.

-Dead again. This is tough. And his swatty paws melee attack does negligible damage.

-This is a lot of trial and error, since I can’t really see the soldiers’ full patrol path from behind cover. I just have to wait for them to turn around, follow them, and hope an answer appears.

-It’s actually pretty forgiving, and in a way I like. I completed the first section here, but was seen. However, it wasn’t an insta-fail on being seen. The soldiers just started shooting at me and I have a health bar. I got seen a lot, but bobbed and weaved and made it to the end of the area.

-Next section. There’s a loading crate being moved, and I hear people yelling from inside.



Some of the kidnapped citizens.

-Aw! Bummer. I wasn’t watching where I was going and accidentally beat the next stage when I wanted to explore. Oh well.

-Yikes. The crate with people was dropped into a green pool. Wtf, Deepground.

-WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

-A GIANT HAND AND ARM THRUST OUT OF THE GREEN POOL, GRABBED THE CRATE, AND PULLED IT DOWN! Happened really quickly, before I could get a screenshot.

-What are they keeping in there? Some titanic super soldier?

-As Cait Sith wonders aloud what that was, a dude shrouded in purple and in a mask appears to answer. “Usher of souls. My brother. Omega.” He looks vaguely Vincent-ish, with red eyes and black hair, but he’s wearing a mask.



-Cait Sith identifies this dude as “Nero the Sable.” Again with the colors.

-Cait then gets engulfed by that purple void stuff.



We fade out on a creepy image of a stuffed moogle floating in the green ooze down below.

-Well. I guess I asked for a stuffed moogle to show up in this segment.



But not like this.

---

Next time: We rejoin Vincent at the Manor.