Friday, October 23, 2015

FFVII Dirge of Cerberus – Part 19: Urban Warfare

Summary: Vincent moves through the Train Graveyard towards Deepground’s central complex. It’s a winding maze of busted trains that I remember from FFVII. Shelke’s voice as guide.



Train Graveyard

-So THAT’S where we are in Midgar!




-Tried hopping on top of the trains, but can’t reach.

-I can now purchase “Mega-Potions,” a step up from “Hi-Potions.”

-Two nervous WRO troops who missed their landing point see Vincent and decide to tag along with him. I have buddies!

-I keep stumbling across more WRO troops joining up.

-Another WRO soldier here used to play in this part of Midgar with her brother.



This bit of backstory, and learning about all these soldiers’ connection to the conflict, is really a nice touch.

-Real urban battle here. Narrow streets, lots of ambushes, and turrets above.



-Next part of the city to fight through is a maze of train cars. That sounds kind of awesome.

-But without company. Vincent denies some of the WRO folks the chance to tag along as he goes deeper, since he thinks they will all die because they are awful combatants and redshirts.



(He leaves that last part out, but I feel like it’s implied.)

-This place has lots of hidden corners. Exploration nets me a fair bit of gil.

-Dead end. Hm.

-LOL NM! No end is a dead end when you got a phone with Shelke on the other line. She tells us about an underground passage out of the Train Graveyard.

-Heavy defenses coming up from Deepground.

-Yeah. That was tricky. Lots of waves of enemies, but eventually took out the commander thanks to a Limit Breaker.

-Made it through the underground tunnels to the next part of the Graveyard. I’m starting to see the value in Fire materia. Great for taking out clumps of enemies.

-The central complex is just ahead of me.

...and just like that, Shelke tells me about a swarm of aerial troopers coming my way. Awesome. At least it’s not a helicopter!



-The start of this fight is ridiculously panicked. 4-5 of these aerial dudes, “Shrikes,” are peppering me with machine gun fire from above. Eventually found cover in a train car and waited for them to float by me one by one, returning fire.

-Victory. Even more fun is the “finishing move” cinematic I get after nibbling off the Shrikes’ last bit of health. Vincent vault up from the ground to the train cars to the sky. He kicks the last Shrike, vaults backwards, and shoots him on the way down. Woohoo!

-I also got a chapter rating of “A” for the first time in a while for that stage. Go Coldrun!



(Despite failing most of the bonus missions.)

-Haven’t given a stat update in a while, but I just hit level 20.

---

Next time: the next stage. “Fight for the Central Complex.”