Saturday, March 7, 2015

FFVII – Part 21: Port Junon

Summary: Our attempts to help Fort Condor stop before they start. We save a kid and her dolphin from angry fauna at Port Junon, and remain a step behind Sephiroth.

Fort Condor

-Hold on. They need me to spend my own money to hire and equip soldiers of different kinds and deploy them. Is this an RTS or an RPG?



-Four enemies. Wyverns, weak to Stoners/Tristoners. Beasts, with explosive attacks. Barbarians, who attack from a distance. And commanders.

-I can hire fighters, attackers, repairers, shooters, defenders, and workers. Jesus. I don’t have much gil to begin with. Oh, and I have immobile allies in Stoner, Tristoner, Catapult, and Fire Catapult.

Attackers: good vs beasts, not barbarians
Defenders: good vs barbarians, not wyverns
Shooters: good vs wyverns, not beasts

-I try to start, and even contribute 2k gil, but the guy here says they want 4k more gil. I simply don’t have that much. It won’t let me start this without the 4k gil extra contribution.

-Well. That was disappointing. I guess we’ll come back later.


The condor out the window. Stay safe, birdie.

---

Under Junon

-We head west from Fort Condor, and reach the rundown port town of Junon. The map says “Under Junon,” though, so maybe this is the lower level?

-Shinra built a city above the town that polluted the water and destroyed the fish. This reminds me a bit of… well, of real life, but also of an Avatar episode, “The Painted Lady.”

-Some houses here, but nothing beyond an item shop to interact with inside of them. There’s a guarded Shinra elevator as well.

-Down by the beach, a girl named Priscilla is talking to dolphins. She thinks we’re with Shinra and wants us to leave.

-At least, UNTIL A GINORMOUS FISH ATTACKS HER DOLPHIN FRIEND. Boss music. Time to prove we’re not Shinra.

-Priscilla herself lunged at the fish to help her dolphin! Noooo!! Priscilla!


Bottomswell.

-LOLOL – I just tried my summon spell. It summons a chocobo who seems to throw a Moogle at the enemy.



It happened quick, and I didn’t quite catch what happened or whether it did damage because I was laughing too hard at the moogle art. Any of y’all able to help translate what’s on the moogle’s headband?

-Bottomswell put some bubble on Barret that paralyzes and drains his life. I can’t seem to break it. Bleh.

-The bubble is on Cloud too now. Curing poison doesn’t work. Come on, come on…

-YES!! Quake works. Magic breaks the bubble.

-This boss also has the same issue as the elevator boss back at the Shinra Building. It’s flying and at range. This means that melee can’t hit it, just magic or Tifa (who has that “can attack from the back row” materia). Not even Barret can hit it normally, since his weapon is now melee.

-VICTORY! That was the toughest boss fight so far, and until I figured out how to break the bubble, it was really tough and go.

-Priscilla is unconscious. And so… I get a CPR minigame? This is so weird.



-FUCK. I don’t remember which key is [SWITCH]…

-About 3-4 minutes of guess-n-check keyboard slamming later, I learn it’s the space bar. There was no timer (thank goodness), so eventually got Priscilla up and running again. Some dude who found us picks Priscilla up and carries her away.

-Back in town, a woman thanks us, and lets us stay at her house.

---

Night Under Junon

-More dialogue on a black screen. Some voice that Cloud can’t pinpoint tells him to remember 5 years ago in Nibelheim.



This really builds my curiosity about what’s going on. It makes it seem like it’s not just a memory, but a dialogue with some kind of Obi-Wan-style force ghost watching over Cloud.

To remember that Tifa was his guide. “But where was Tifa other than that?” Huh?

“Why couldn’t you see each other alone?”
“I don’t know. I can’t remember clearly…” Is something else up with Tifa?

-He wakes up and asks Tifa immediately wtf is up. She doesn’t remember either. I don’t quite understand this, but something about them meeting other than when he saw her get slashed by Sephiroth. Both their memories are fucked up. This must relate to the question of how she survived.

---

Day Under Junon

-The music changed. It’s like a jamboree now, and Tifa even comments on this.

-Priscilla emerges from her home and thanks us. She gives us Shiva material. Woohoo! Another summon! (I assume.)

-The music is welcome music for the new Shinra president, Rufus, who’s coming here. Uh oh. They think Rufus is coming to cross the ocean, and that Sephiroth already crossed it. Our party can’t just climb the tower to reach Junon, but Priscilla thinks Mr. Dolphin (lol) can help.

-Or not? The non-Cloud party members want to climb the high voltage tower.

---

Next time: Cloud better ride a dolphin. If not, I’ll be pissed.