Friday, March 27, 2015

FFVII – Part 33: Coming ‘Round the Mountain

Summary: Bit of an anti-climactic session here. We explore Mt. Nibel, getting some experience and materia. We stop by the Nibel Reactor, but nobody’s home.


Overworld

-Headed west to that town on the west part of the continent, but I can’t actually get there. There’s a body of water blocking the way that’s impassible with our buggy. Onto Mt. Nibel.

-What party for this? Gonna swap out Barret and Tifa and swap in… hm… Red and Aeris.

-Weird! NONE of my characters, not even Red can use “Cosmo Memory.” I’ll try it again on Red – SORRY NANAKI!!! Gah, I hate forgetting that. I wish this game had the Namingways from FFIV so I could rename him… I’ll try it again on him at higher levels.

-Aeris is still my least favorite in combat. Her melee attacks are the weakest, but I want to build her up. I’ve played enough FFs to know that mages are weak sauce early, and carry hard late. Made the mistake, especially back in FFII, of letting my mage skills wither early. Not gonna make the same mistake here. PROGRESS!

---

Mt. Nibel

-New weapon here for Cloud. Rune Blade.


Climbing the mountain.

-Speaking of new weapons, Red got a new weapon, Seraph something, and it’s ROCKING.

-NANAKI NANAKI NANAKI SRY

-And we just fought a dragon. Jeez. Not even a boss fight, just a normal enemy dragon.



She was nasty as hell, but at least gave Cloud a new firebreathing Enemy Skill.

-Found what a gold box and a side door, but I took a wrong path and can’t reach them now it seems.



Bleh.

-Big boss guarding a path. Here we go.


I actually didn’t notice this boss’s name.

-Nanaki’s (yay! I did it!) newer limit ability, L****** High, is amazing. Simply an awesome buff.

-Very easy boss fight. Nanaki’s group haste combined with Chocobo/Mog stunning the boss for most of the fight made quick work. She drops “Counter” materia, which I’m super excited to pair with Cloud’s “Cover.”

-Hey, I found the materia well thing! With an “Elemental Materia” nearby.

-We’re here.

---

Nibel Reactor

-Are we going to have to fight, like, an army of those Mako-saturated monsters?

-Hm. Can’t get inside Jenova’s container. Maybe I’m not supposed to be here.

-Guess not. Back down the mountain we go.

---

Mt. Nibel

-Nanaki got Bloodfang. A new limit ability I guess.

-Okay, backtracked to my last real fork in the road, one I reached shortly after the big scorpion spider boss thing.

-Dead end here too… to be honest, I feel kind of stuck right now. And because I jumped down from a ledge to get to this path, I can’t backtrack even. Gotta try the reactor again.

-Oh! Lol. There was a door behind the reactor to a different cave.


Exhibit A of “I Suck at Finding Things.”

-…And it looped us back near the starting point. Hm.

-Tried a different pipe and got the golden box. “All” materia. Always useful.

-Took the last path I can see, the one the scorpion spider boss was guarding, and… it leads to an exit from the mountain. A bit anti-climactic. I expected we’d be fighting Sephiroth or seeing the Reunion, but no go just yet.

---

Next time: we see what lies beyond Mt. Nibel. Literally no idea.