Saturday, March 21, 2015

FFVII – Part 29: Goin’ Gaga

Summary: We search the Gongaga area for Sephiroth. No luck, but we see some of the Turks and Shinra trying to get materials for a new weapon. We hear about Aeris’s first love, a Gongagan named Zack.


Overworld

-I have a buggy! This is so exciting. Similar to FFVI’s hovercraft it goes over land and rivers and deserts.

-Still can get into combat though, a difference from FFIV’s vehicle.

-Did some exploring. I can get back to the east coast of the continent, and north of the Golden Saucer is Corel.

-Still can’t get over Cait Sith’s combat animations.



When he wins, his MoogleCow throws him happily in the air. During combat, the MoogleCow does this bouncy boxer thing, like “Put em up! Put em up!”

-We head south out of the desert, and see a ruined tower thing.

---

Jungle

-And we come across the Turks! (Minus Elena.) Talking about girls.



-Rude and Tifa sitting in a tree! K-i-s-s-i-n-g!

-And Elena likes Tseng. This set of exchanges is the last thing I expected on zoning in here.

-“But Tseng likes that Ancient.” Hey. Tseng. Next time, just give Aeris one of those notes asking “do you like me y/n” rather than kidnapping her. Just saying.

-And Elena comes in! Apparently this conversation is a normal occurrence. “But Tseng is different…” Elena and Tseng, sitting in a tree…

-They finally notice that we’re here. Time to fight.

-Pretty easy fight. We win. They retreat rather than die. I especially love how right before he leaves, Rude literally looks at his watch as if he’s about to be late for an appointment.


”I don’t want to seem Rude, but...”

-Deeper in, we literally fight a triceratops-tank hybrid.


Heavy Tank.

It’s pretty awesome.

-Just noticed – I got my first “Enemy Skill”! It’s “Aqualung,” from a desert monster I fought on the way.

---

Meltdown Reactor

-I’m guessing Gongaga is a reactor that blew.

-A helicopter arrives with a woman in red and a Turk. Scarlet is the woman, head of Shinra weapons development.

-She wants to find “Huge Materia” here for an ultimate weapon.

-This was a dead end for me though. I head back to the jungle to try the other tine of the fork in the road.

-Got a Deathblow materia.

-Some more wandering lets me find a gravesite, where people are mourning those who died in the reactor exploding three years ago.

-A town here.

---

Gongaga Village

-Tempted to buy “Mystify” and “Time” magic, if only to find out wtf they do. My guess that mystify is like charm and time is like haste or slow, which makes mystify less interesting and time super awesome.

-One of the huts here has two older folks with an absent son named Zack. Zack was in Soldier, and they haven’t heard from him in a while. Zack apparently had a girlfriend 6-7 years ago… and Aeris leaves the room. That must be the boyfriend she mentioned way earlier in the game.

-Yep. Aeris’s first true love.

-Zack was SOLDIER, First Class, like Cloud, but still. Something fishy’s going on.



-LOL – I just noticed that Cait Sith’s weapon is a mobile phone.

-A bit more grinding and I get both Mystify and a berserk ring. Deathblow, crit or miss skill, is not my cup of tea it turns out.

-I think that’s all I can do here. No Sephiroth sightings, but definite Shinra movement. Not sure where to head next, but I got a buggy and the world is my oyster. Hopefully somewhere with an active reactor, with Huge Materia.

---

Next time: the search for Sephiroth and large materia goes on.