Monday, March 30, 2015

FFVII – Part 35: The Mountains Win Again

Summary: We wander through the beautiful and frustrating surroundings of Wutai, making little to no progress.


Overworld

-Got stuck on the western continent. Couldn’t pass a mountain range to reach the map marker on the northern section.

-Trying to back track, but no luck.

-Headed back to the land mass to the east.

-Back in Rocket Town, Rufus went on a rampage after we stole the plane out from under him. -Nothing else doing. Going to try back west.

-Standard weird FFVII monsters in the overworld, but their version of Adamantoise is particularly nasty.



Not FFII nasty (where he was a brutally hard boss monster), but still.

-Made it! Had to loop back around under some bridges, but made it to the town in the northwest.

---

Wutai

-East Asian style architecture, though not sure whether Chinese, Japanese, or some other culture or blend of cultures. My gut says Chinese.

-One house has a hyperactive kid and her forgetful grandfather.

-A KITTY HOME!


Can’t reach the upper floor…

-One house is barred, and the woman inside won’t let us in.

-HELL. YES. The weapon shop here sells Murasame and a Chain Saw. Cid, you were a fun party member while you lasted, but you’re an asshole, Barret is awesome, and he can now use a chainsaw. See ya.

-There used to be a huge snake here in Wutai, a water god. Leviathan?

-Da-Chao is on the side of the mountain, something to climb.


The beautiful Wutai.

-Wutai doesn’t have much materia, and is off Shinra’s radar.

-The town has a “Pagoda of the Five Mighty Gods” – the strongest of which is Omni. Omni = Ultima?

-Got a “Hairpin” and a “Magic Shuriken” from one of the houses (Godo’s, I think). Both long range weapons for a character I don’t have.

-Lord Godo used to be all kinds of badass, but now just sleeps.

-Beautiful golden shrine in his house, but I can’t seem to activate it in any way.

-I try to enter the Pagoda of the Five Mighty Gods, but get turned away. Only those from Wutai may enter. Maybe I have to do something to get Lord Godo on my side.

-It feels like there should be a way for me to get from the Kitty House to upstairs, but can’t seem to find it.

---

Wutai, Da-Chao Statue

-So the Da-Chao statue is MASSIVE, like climbing a mountain.

-This place is labyrinthine. Some caves inside have fire blocking the paths.



-I keep reaching dead ends. Hm.



-This is getting frustrating. The worst part is that it feels like there’s not much to explore. Just that fire-blocked passage and dead ends.

-COME ON WHAT THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO

-Going to take one more trip through the mountains in case I missed something.

-I appreciate the experience I’m getting, but honestly wish I could just explore the mountain without constantly getting sucked into random combat. I’m not getting anywhere, and I hate not getting anywhere so SLOWLY.

-Fuck this. I give up. The Da-chao must be the wrong place. Nothing but dead ends here.

-Spent another 15 minutes wandering Wutai and Da-chao. Talked to everybody. Clicked every cat and item in the cat house. Pressed every wall. Found some secret chests in Lord Godo’s house. Walked every square I can. Traversed every pathway on Da-chao multiple times.

The three puzzles sticking out at me: 1) the cat house. 2) the girl who blocks me from a box in the materia store. 3) Lord Godo and possibly his shrine.

Nothing. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Is it a puzzle? Am I missing something ridiculously obvious? Do I need a special party combination? My working theory is that I have to do something to wake or rouse Lord Godo. That domino will start the chain that’ll get me out of this nightmare. No idea how to do that. FUCK.

---

Next time: I do my best to not punch a wall. If that doesn’t work, I’ll leave this town and assume I’ve been barking up the wrong tree.