Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Fitness - Day 35: The Lost Woods, First Morning

I'm not a Zelda fanatic, but I enjoyed the original Legend of Zelda on NES and Ocarina of Time on N64.  Each of those had a "Lost Woods" zone.  If you walked randomly, you'd return to the same screen over and over.  There was a particular pattern to get out.  North, west, south, west, and you got through.

My pre-Nerd Fitness Academy attempts to get healthy felt like this.  Kept wandering, trying out new things, and ending up in the same place.  NFA has given me hope that there's a way out.  And even though I took a wrong turn, I feel like I have a pattern to find my way back.

Screen by screen.  Start with the morning.




Part of the reason I binge is that I forget that I can feel satisfied by eating at home.  It's a relatively new experience for me, and takes some time to believe.

Breakfast, 7:00am: Two egg omelet with tuna and cheddar.  Three slices of bacon.

This morning was great.  I made an omelet with tuna and cheddar; it came together beautifully.  My problem with prior omelet attempts was lack of patience.  I would fiddle with it, stir it a bit, turn the heat up really high, and the omelet burned or stuck to the pan.  This time, patience was key.  I left the two whipped eggs on medium heat for 3-4 minutes without fiddling, added the tuna and cheddar, flipped the omelet a minute later, and voila.  Beautiful and delicious.  Topped it with mild salsa.

My bacon experiment finally paid off.  In the past, I tried microwaving it.  That was messy and soggy.  (My 700 watt microwave may just be too weak.)  Tried frying it, but my frying pan is too small.  Tried baking it at 400 for 20 minutes, but it burned.

Today: baked it at 400 for 12 minutes.  A bit crispier than I'd like, but delicious.  Next time, I'll do 10 minutes.  SUCCESS!



I also drank a bottle of water.  That helps fill me up.

Eating breakfast is just part of a successful morning though.  The other part is lasting through to lunch at 11:00am, About four hours.  It's current 10:10am as I write this, and I'm getting hungry.  It's a feeling that's important to get used to living with.