Saturday, December 19, 2015

FFVIII – Part 17: Bedeviled

Summary: Some Triple Triad success around the school. The team sets out for Timber, before opening the worst going away present of all time. Thanks, Cid.


B-Garden School

-I’ve decided something about Triple Triad. I won’t be a completionist. I mean, the amount of games you have to play with each NPC to learn exactly where all the rare cards are is something I just don’t think I can do. That’s a replay task.

And there’s something freeing in that! I won’t just hoard the good cards and not risk them. I’ll get enraged and frustrated when I lose sometimes, but c’est la vie. I think playing with good cards will be a major net gain, and help me win lots of new cards before I lose them.

-I want another shot at the Quistis card. Not sure how rare it is, but I’ll try playing five games with that Trepe groupie and see what happens.

-LOL – someone outside the classroom asked Squall to show him his gunblade. I said yes, so Squall take it out and swings it in demonstration for the student. A teacher, Mr. Aki, sees this and runs to scold him.



-Dang. Penalized. Lost house points or something. I gotta be careful at this school!

-WOOHOO!!! Got it. Two games in.



-Went up to the third floor. Beautiful, though I’m not quite sure what this is. Maybe it’s where the party was.

-A thing happened! Not sure the nature of the thing, but a definite thing.



I walked over something and got a message that said S-Lvl 4 or something. Ok.

-Can’t do anything else up here for now.

-Checked in with Dr. Kadowaki. Nothing new to say, but she does play cards.



-Got to use the Quistis card, and it is SO GOOD.

-Ok. I’m ready to move on for now.

-! Even the security guard plays! This shit is worse than pogs.

-I’m now pretty sure that when I pick a card at the end, white lettering means I have it, blue means I don’t. Not sure about gold.

---

Front Gate

-Everyone is out front waiting. A faculty member, Selfie, Cid, Squall. (No Quistis. ) Waiting for Zell.

-HAHAHA WHO COMES LOOKING LIKE A MIXTURE OF A FARMER IN OVERALLS AND MARTY MCFLY ON HIS HOVERBOARD (which the game calls a T-Board).



-The faculty member chews him out for using a banned item and confiscates it. While Zell is shaking with rage, I’m just sitting here relieved that it means that the now-inevitable “snowboarding” level is coming. I see you, snowboard level. Lurking on the horizon. Biding your time.

-Our mission (and who gives a shit if we choose to accept it? We’re bound to the Garden) is to support a resistance in Timber.

-Our contact will talk about the forests of timber having changed, and our super-secret code response will have to be “But the owls are still around.” I can remember that.

-Interesting. The faculty starts to say something about them taking this job for less money than usual because of AND THEN CID CUTS HIM OFF. Before he can tell us any more about it. Suffice it to say it’s just the three of us.

-Squall’s the leader? Why? Can I vote Selphie to be leader?

-…Cid just gave me a powerful cursed item that I can use if I need to. “Magical Lamp.” That’s it.

-oh god.



Most dread-inducing item description ever.

---

Balamb – Alcauld Plains

-Outside the city. Going to end the session shortly, but first…. I gotta see.

-Come on. I gotta.

-Magic lamp time.



-It’s what I presume is a new GF, Diabolos. Lord of Terror?

-He wrecks me. Almost 9,000 HP. And I also forgot to set up my combat stuff on this party.

-So yeah, I died. But learned a few things! I learned that I can try for this GF when I feel ready.

-Also learned what Selphie’s limit break is. She gets a random spell she can cast twice, or can re-roll that spell and cast the new one once.


A valiant effort.

Got to see Blizzaga and Firaga. Awesome!

-One more thing got an idea for a strategy to use against his high HP. I can draw Demi from him, which (if it works like I think) takes away a percentage of HP. That might just work to whittle him down quickly.



-Thanks for the present, Cid. Cid reminds me a lot of [spoilers for The Magicians] gur urnqznfgre ng Oenxrovyyf jub gnggbbrq na rzretrapl erfcbafr pnpbqrzba vagb gur syrfu bs gur tenqhngvat fghqragf.

---

Next time: Timber.