Friday, December 25, 2015

FFVIII – Part 23: Copy of a Copy

Summary: The “negotiations” with “President Deling.” Preparation to return to Timber.


President’s Car

-Let’s negotiate.

-Deling seems totally unintimidated.

-OH SHIT WE GOT BODY DOUBLED! He’s a fake to lure out a possible attack from Timber. It worked.



-Fake President’s voice is getting weird. Strange capitalizations.



Transformation time? (My money’s on robot. Or Cagnazzo.)

-Boss time.

-….what. He attacked Squall by running up and biting his neck. Ew.

-Beat him pretty easily, but no way that’s… Ok. Yeah. That was his first form. He’s now a zombie skeleton monster thingy.


Love the asymmetry and the guts hanging out.

-Drew “Zombie” and “Berserk” from him. Scan tells me that he uses status attacks, and is very weak against what looks like it might be ice but I can’t really tell. Let’s use Shiva and Blizzard on him.

-He kept whaling on Squall who died. I was hoping to use his limit break, and so didn’t heal him up. Got too cute with it.



-Gerogero cast Berserk on Selphie, which hurts. She just can attack now, and her attacks suck. Zell is my all-star with Shiva.

[Non-rhetorical question for y’all: if a character is dead when we win the battle, do their GFs get experience/AP?]

---

Forest Owl Base

-Watts learned that the president is really on his way to a TV station in Timber. Something to do maybe with the Dollet communication tower? Yeah. Something about using radio waves to reach places without internet. But what could they want broadcasted so widely?

-LOLOLOL



Selphie, something tells me that President Deling won’t go with your idea.

-Radio waves haven’t been used for a broadcast in 17 years. The Owls huddle, trying to figure out a plan to take over the station and broadcast something about Timber’s independence.

-Selphie wants to go home and be done with this, so Squall checks the contract.

-There are two versions. The first is full of dense legalese, which neither the SeeDs nor the Forest Owls could understand.



So Cid (last name: Kramer) gave them a second contract which said the SeeDs will help the Owls until Timber achieves independence.

-Wow. What the hell is going on with Cid? That’s an astoundingly high task, to only provide three SeeDs AND to provide them for an indefinite amount of time.

-haha – Rinoa wants to decide on parties, but before we can, Watts runs off to gather information while Zone doubles over with a stomachache. A group of deadly special ops, these.

-I have to make a party with three of the four current people, but the game won’t let me bench Squall no matter how much I try. I just want Rinoa, Zell, and Selphie!

-Grrr. Whatever. Zell, I love you but you gotta sit because SOMEONE thinks they’re too important. *glares at Squall* Like you couldn’t be captain from afar. *grumble grumble*

-A small thing I have to praise FFVIII for: it’s extremely good about not forcing me to finish a segment before I’m ready (the timer thing aside).

In past games, it wasn’t uncommon to be exploring, talking to people, and find that one of those people I talked to was the trigger to go to the next stage even when I had stuff left to explore. FFVIII has avoided this.


It’s the little things.

Well done.

-Though in this case, I don’t find anything new on the train. Ready to move on.

---

Next time: to the TV station.