Thursday, December 24, 2015

FFVIII – Part 21: The Princess and the Dog

Summary: A short but delightful session. The SeeDs arrive in Timber and meet the rebels. The rebel princess revealed. DOG DOG DOG DOG DOG


Timber

-Our contact meets us at the station. We give the owls line (I wonder what would’ve happened if I had given the wrong line? Probably would’ve just lost points and progressed anyway) and are told to follow him.

-Tried a Triple Triad game and lost hard. Played with bad cards so it was to be expected, but I got to see that they play with Same and Diff rulesets. Don’t remember those, but I’ll review them before I play again.



-There’s a pet shop. It’s closed. Oh, right – I actually have a pet magazine.

-OMG IT’S A DOG MAGAZINE.



AND IT STRONGLY IMPLIES I’LL HAVE A DOGGY COMPANION THIS GAME.

-We follow the contact into a lone train car.

---

Rebel Train

-The guy we meet is Zone. His resistance group is the Forest Owls.



Offers to shake, but due to an unfortunate condition known by the technical term of “Being a Total Douchecanoe,” Squall leaves him hanging.

-hahahahaha – he walks around Squall and shakes Selphie’s hand. Zell tries to shake his hand after wiping off sweat from it, but Zone ignores him. XD XD

-The contact’s name is Watts.

-There’s a princess, but she’s… napping? A kid maybe.

-We gotta fetch the princess. Zone comes down with a stomachache, which is… weird.

-Not just this. The whole operation is weird, which Zell and Selphie point out. Why are they asking us to get the “princess” for them? Why are they acting like shlubs? It doesn’t help that the music is more slapstick than noble rebellion.

For an example of what I was expecting, take the “Rebel Army Theme” from Final Fantasy 2:


-…okay, now I’m really curious to meet this princess. Someone on the train says that we should be afraid for waking her up. Guessing she'll be a bratty kid from all this lead-up.




-OH SHIT IT’S MYSTERIOUS DANCING WOMAN. I was expecting that 0%. Not at all. I probably should have just due to the Law of Conservation of Characters, but still.

-hahaha, she rings his neck with a massive hug. (Delighted that SeeD is here at all, not that Broody McJerkface himself is that particular SeeD – not that that hurts.)

-Aha. It was only when she spoke to Cid directly that he sent anyone. They must have some prior relationship that caused him to bypass Balamb Garden’s usual minimum.

-She knows Seifer, who introduced her to Cid. I guess they didn’t have a longstanding relationship. Why would Cid do that? He doesn’t seem like the type to go around school policy just for a good cause.

Note: I still don’t know that this is a good cause, but fighting against an occupying force is probably not a bad thing.

-Princess Namenotfound asks after Seifer and is disappointed to learn he’s not SeeD. I personally put the chances that Squall acts like a jealous jackwagon in the near future at 93.7%.

-Hey, we got a name.



I’ll pronounce it like “rih-NOH-uh” rather than, say, quinoa.

-He says he learned to dance for his work and OH GOD IT’S A PUPPY I LITERALLY GOT DISTRACTED FROM THEIR CONVERSATION BY PUPPY

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS

AHHAJKLFDHJKLFHAJKLHFAJKLHAFL I GET A DOGGY COMPANION



RINOA’S LIMIT BREAK IS TO USE HER DOG FOR “PINWHEEL!” HE CAN DO TRICKS DURING THE LIMIT BREAK HAHAJL I’M SO HAPPY



I immediately want fan fiction where Angelo has a doggy playdate with Interceptor from FFVI. A mean kid tries to tease them, and since Rinoa and Shadow are deep in conversation and don’t notice, it’s up the dogs. Angelo uses tricks and Interceptor uses Take Down to teach the kid a lesson that he fucked with the wrong dogs. After that’s over, they go back to playing and wrestling. Relm paints the scene.

-Angelo can learn new tricks in a way similar to GF learning new AP, but there’s an element of Angelo having to walk around that I don’t quite get. I’m sure I’ll understand it when I try it out.

-So THAT’S what Pet Pals is for. It’s where I get new tricks to teach Angelo.



-Before saving and closing out for this session, I talked again with one of the random train dudes who had warned me about waking Rinoa up from her nap. He said, “By the way, you’re lucky to have come away without a scratch.”

I don’t get this. Nothing about Rinoa in the two times I’ve met her has suggested she’d randomly lash out or hit people or scratch people for waking her up. I guess we’ll see.

---

Next time: Strategy meeting between SeeD and Forest Owls.