Tuesday, December 1, 2015

FFVIII – Part 3: Garden Network

Summary: Learning more about the world of FFVIII and the Balamb Garden.


Exploring the Balamb Garden Network Kiosk

-Let’s see what’s in here.



-There’s the tutorial, but it looks like I can access that from my main status screen too, so will hold off on that for the moment.

-Oh my God, there’s SO MUCH INFO here. Let’s see what I can pluck of value.

---

The Basics



-Magic is acknowledged as a standard thing, so none of the FFVI “magic is extinct” theme going on here.

-Real monsters are in a school training center of a variety of abilities.

-I can check out stuff from the library. I wonder if that’s background lore, some gameplay, or just flavor text to make the school seem realer even though I can’t use it.

-SeeDs have priority on single dorm rooms. They must be an elite group within the school – the AP students or something like that.

-Facility precepts: “Work hard, study hard, play hard.” Again, seems very much like a standard prep school. I know nothing about the Japanese school system, and wonder if there’s a clear kind of Japanese school this is referencing.

-No dress code (which explains Seifer), but superiors can mandate one for their juniors.

-Interestingly, the disciplinary code explicitly refers to “sexual promiscuity” as prohibited.



Later, it says “Take time to think things through before starting a relationship.” I mean, that’s just generally good advice, but I wonder if it’s ESPECIALLY good advice at Garden. Like, if they teach the Force and magic and stuff, maybe sex leads to the dark side.

-This kiosk references not using the skills learned here for personal gain. This makes me think that Garden is more a tech school than a liberal arts school.

-It’s a boarding school. Seems to be aimed for high-achievers.

-Garden admits ages 5-15 and ends at the latest at 20 years old. SeeDs can stay past 20, so perhaps this is like a graduate program.

-“The Garden supports a program that helps graduates enlist in armies all over the world.” This is a very juice detail. It tells me that students are taught practical skills applicable, directly or indirectly, to combat.

It also tells me that this is not a state-run military academy, since they mention sending students to different armies. And that the world has multiple political factions.

-Aha! There’s a tutorial section on SeeDs. They are… oh. They are basically elite or special forces, not dissimilar from SOLDIER. Commanding “GF” and operating all over the world.

-They’re requested from governments and civilians around the world.

-They’re “paid according to rank,” so perhaps this means they are like mercenaries that are hired out by Garden rather than being direct employees of the clients they serve. Cool set-up!

-After 15, you can apply to be a SeeD by passing a written test and going on a test mission.

---

A Message from Garden

-Upcoming events include various festivals and SeeD entrance exams, both written and field test. This test must be coming up for Squall.

-lolol – apparently, hot dogs are causing friction.


The hot dogs of chaos.

-“Report seeing any unusual bugs inside the Garden.” That’s… creepily specific.

-Hah! There’s an announcement about overdue library books. I like how detailed they are in building the school.

---

Garden Square

-This is amazing. It had me snerking out soda a few times. The Garden Square seems to be a message board.

-“Trepies” are groupies following someone named Trepe.


Respect the moderator.

-Xu seems to be a forum moderator of sorts.

-Almasy is on the disciplinary committee. J.I. is being sassy.

-This is kind of sweet actually. There’s little discussions of hot dog excitement and a librarian wishing nervous students luck on a test and I already love the school.

---

The School Festival Committee

-The festival chair is leaving the school, and didn’t get any help volunteered for this festival. Aw

-THEIR NAME IS WIMBLY DONNER. Sounds straight out of Harry Potter.

---

Tutorial

-Actually, whatever. I’m here, I’ll do some tutorial stuff.

-Squall has two GF registered to his name. Shiva and Quetzalcoatl. I was right about these being esper-like.

-Wait, what? I get to NAME the esper? It’s a playable character?????

-Quetzalcoatl’s portrait looks a bit like Flubber. Shiva’s looks like Shiva combat sprite from FFV.

-Nah. It starts to bombard me with options but won’t look through them closely. I kind of want to move on for now. I’ll read the tutorial as I go.

---

Next time: leaving the classroom.