Friday, November 7, 2014

FFVI – Part 10: Master of Disguise (Locke’s scenario)

Summary: Locke’s escape from Imperial-controlled South Figaro. He moves past the soldiers by disguising himself as a merchant and a cadet, infiltrating the headquarters of the town. We meet Celes.

 
Figaro

-Interesting! He’s already screwed with the Empire before we play, and we meet him for his escape.

-GREAT MUSIC AGAIN WTFFFF

-Walked up to a magitek armored soldier to say hi. He punched me until I died. Two punches.

-Ok, this is a stealth thing. Got to escape without fighting the guards. (At least, the magitek ones; the other ones just yell at me.)

-I can talk to the cider man, but can’t yet get to the cider. Will watch for that.

-A kid in the basement will only let merchants through. New party member coming soon?

-Found a merchant. I was sort of right. Steal worked on him, and stole his clothes.


LOLOL BIRTHDAY SUIT

I’m the merchant now.

-Duncan’s wife highlights the rich man’s secret passageway.

-The kid lets Merchant!Locke through, giving us access to a new area.

-My habit of using “Steal” is paying huge dividends, as I’m able to steal a green-clad cadet’s soldier uniform. “They’re a bit too large, but he didn’t charge!” You’re a true poet, Locke.

-As a soldier, the magitek guards no longer kill me. They still don’t budge though.

-I see a merchant in the inn. Interesting. I guess if I need to swap back to merchant, I can steal his clothes.

-A “famous lady general turned traitor,” and is locked up in town. WHERE??

-The rich man’s house has two tunnels – one to another house, one out of town.

-Time to take the old man’s cider. I give to him. He tells me his kid will open the passage to the mansion, but forgot the password.

-The kid gives me three password choices: Rosebud, Courage, or Failure. “Courage” sounds most likely, and it works. Still, it was almost blind luck that I got it right. There was probably a letter or book or something that would’ve told me so I wouldn’t have had to guess, but didn’t see it.

I’m curious what would have happened if I guessed wrong.

-The kid opens up a door that takes me to the rich man’s house.

---

Rich Man’s House

-The house is now the imperial headquarters.

-I KNEW IT!!! (sorta) The rich man was working with the Empire. I think it’s a nice touch that he regrets it, and feels really guilty for his betrayal, rather than just being all “Who care? More money more money!”



It’s small, but I appreciate FFVI humanizing this minor villain, however slightly.

-The rich man’s daughter now says “Wind the clock! Wind the clock!” She tries to discount it as “just a jump rope rhyme.” Suuuuure.

-HAHAHAH – The son is pissing a soldier off by still pretending to be magitek armor.

“Clang! Clang!”

-We get to the secret tunnel that had the clock in it. The game gives us the option to remove our disguise, and I do.

-Locke peers into one of the rooms and sees “her.” The traitor general.

-YES!!! We get a black character intro screen. One of us, one of us, gooble-gobble, one of us.



Meet General Celes.

-Wow. She’s an imperial general who DOESN’T want to use their strength to oppress. Color me super interested. Totally down with making the Empire more than monolithic evil.

-………

-……………wtf

-She says Kefka’s planning to poison everyone in the Kingdom of Doma. That’s really fucked-up.

-LOL at Locke hanging from the rafters to avoid detection.


”Mission: Impossible,” starring Locke.

-We enter her prison chamber (Hee! The guard who said he’d watch her carefully fell asleep immediately) – and we can remove her bindings, but I want to explore this place a bit more.

-The old clock still isn’t ticking, and I can’t figure out how to wind it.

-Ok, whatever. Let’s break Celes out.

---

Next time: Escaping with Celes.