Saturday, November 8, 2014

FFVI – Part 11: Celestial Sword (Locke’s scenario)

Summary: Celes and Locke take to the secret-laden tunnels from the rich man’s house, and escape South Figaro. We head west to the South Figaro Cave, and Celes’s “Runic” ability shines against the Tunnel Armor boss. End of scenario.

---

Rich Man’s House, South Figaro

-Aw. Celes thinks of herself now as a traitor for speaking up. Sounds more like a whistleblower.

-She seems surprised that Locke, a Returner, will take her. But she can’t walk well (it’s not really explained why; I guess just as a general consequence of being chained up). Perhaps more importantly, a part of her is reluctant to escape because she wants to keep her pride. I already like her for this.

-Ooh. Guard has a clock key. GRABBY!

-My choices with the guard: “(Take it.)” or (Stealing is wrong.)” I think I know which Locke would pick.

-After I swipe it, the guard wakes briefly, but immediately falls back asleep to a dream about soup. Yeah.

-Celes’s job is “Rune Knight.” Awesome.

-WAIT WHAT. She has MAGIC? Not just magitek through a suit, but actual magic? How? Is this some “Terra’s sister” story thread, like Faris and Lenna in FFV?

-We wind the old clock and open a secret passage. This must be the one leading out of town.

-This tunnel is much longer than what came before it, with random enemy encounters – guards and their puppies. Metric ton of secret areas down here that I’m finding.



-One of the things I learned from watching my older brother play FFII (SNES) was the value of exploring, of clicking all the barrels and pots, testing all the walls for secret passages. Paying off in spades here.

-Got a “Ribbon,” but can’t see how to wear it.

-Just noticed that Locke’s job is an “Adventurer.” I thought it used to be “Treasure Hunter,” but could be wrong.

-The enemies hit really hard down here. I try a strategy that seems to help. It’s two-fold. First: leave a dog for last. They tend to run. Second: time my attacks so I don’t leave a single commander alive for any significant period of time. They use “Desperate Strike” when alone, a hard-hitting double attack.

-Found an “Earring” for Celes to boost her magic. I hope this boosts white as well as black magic.

-Celes learned “Imp.” Is that like “Mini” from past FFs?

-Found a Great Sword. HUGE upgrade for Celes.

-The Gauntlet seems kind of useless. It doesn’t seem to boost Celes’s damage, so I opt for sword and board.

-Explored here thoroughly, but still can’t seem to reach a last staircase in the southeast no matter how many walls I push at. Dag nab it.



-Near the exit.

CELES: Why are you helping me?
LOCKE: You remind me of someone.

Really, dude? That’s why? Not because you overheard that she demonstrated how awesome she was by taking massive risk to life and position by speaking out against Kefka’s plan to poison a kingdom?

Maybe I’m not being fair. Like, maybe the person she reminds Locke of had these qualities too, but I have to imagine that even if his girlfriend/wife/mother (again, my money’s on girlfriend) didn’t exists, he’d still have helped Celes.

-We leave town.

---

Overworld

-Nothing special in Duncan’s House to the north, but we nap here anyway.

-Not sure where to go. I think we’re probably supposed to go to Narshe, so I go west.

---

South Figaro Cave

-Monsters here are tougher now.

-We keep hearing a *whoosh* sound. Near the exit, Celes even commens on it. What is it? Flood waves?

-Earthquake?

CELES: “Something’s coming through the wall.”

-Boss time! “Tunnel Armor.” Cool design.



-Celes says it casts badass magic, but she can Runic it away. Hey, I remember reading that from the tutorial! I remembered a thing!

-CELES IS SUCH A BOSS. When she casts Runic, she holds her sword up to the sky and soaks up any magic damage the boss throws until the next turn, converting it into either health or mana (can’t remember which, but probably mana).


For the honor of Grayskull!

-Victory. We leave. End of scenario.

---

Next time: Terra, Edgar, and Banon’s scenario.