Saturday, November 29, 2014

FFVI – Part 30: Slaughterhouse

Summary: We infiltrate the magitek factory. The dungeon design is as cool as its purpose is horrifying. Kefka dreams big. We see a couple of dying espers, Ifrit and Shiva, and push onto the research facility.


Magitek Factory

-Really liking the music here! Fits perfectly with the setting.

-I get to swing across platforms. Whee!



-Whew, not just that. I get to crawl through ducts, ride elevators, and hop conveyor belts.

-All creatures here are highly resistant to regular weapon attacks, and vulnerable to magic. Sabin’s “Rising Phoenix” blitz is my all-star.

-LOL – Onion Knights.



After finishing FFIII, I learned that this was the NES version’s name for the Freelancer job. Is this a reference to that, or does “onion knight” have some more general meaning?

-Dang. Hopped a conveyor belt to the next room and noticed I missed a chest in the first area. Can’t seem to go back to get it.

-OH GOD THAT LAUGH

-Yeah, Kefka popped in to scare the shit out of me. Note to self: do not use loud headphones when there’s a chance Kefka may appear.

-Kefka thinks of himself as a god.


Yeah, not so much.

-Kefka wants to suck up espers’ power and “revive the Warring Triad.” Ok.

-He walks to two used-up espers and then tosses them down a conveyor belt to oblivion. That’s fucked up. You’re more of a petty, sadistic, murderous brat than “all-powerful god.”

Still, he does say that he’s already used up a bunch of espers. Personal theory time, part deux: Kefka will stay relevant through the game (and I hope so, since as evil as he is, he’s fun) by continually draining espers and thus scaling up as we see him. Like, next time we fight him, maybe he’ll have Fira instead of just Fire.

-Lots of unintentional grinding here. This factory has so many out-of-the-way areas to explore. Most of my rewards so far have been golden armor pieces, upgrades from mythril, but also got some elemental swords for ice, fire, and thunder.

-I’m really glad I played the FF games in order. The dungeon design here is so much cleaner and more interesting than FFIV, let alone FFI-II. It would’ve been tough to go to those after getting a taste of FFVI.

-Interesting. The factory seems to loop back on itself. As I explore this place, I keep revisiting old areas, and was even able to find that chest I couldn’t get to initially. It’s a Golden Shield.

-Ok, I keep circling back around. Only place I can find to move onto is that conveyor belt where Kefka dumped the espers.

-oh god. This place is creepy. It’s a bone-filled room.


The esper ossuary.

How many espers have died here?

-LOL FLAN! YAY! The pudding enemies are back.

-Talked to one of the espers – boss fight. It’s Ifrit, the fire guy. Celes’s Runic rocks, absorbing both Fire and Fira, leaving the rest of the party to pummel the poor esper. After we win, he and Shiva (HI!) stop the fight, sensing Ramuh’s power within us.



-IFRIT: “I, too, suffered my turn in one of the capsules…” WTF

-Ifrit and Shiva die, giving us their magicite. This is something I’m still not clear on – do they turn into magicite automatically when they die, or only if they choose to do so?

I think it’s the latter. I get the sense that part of what makes their sacrifice here so powerful is that if they didn’t choose to die to help us, they’d just plop dead instead of becoming this concentrated form. That’s why the discarded esper room is full of bones instead of… well, instead of the nothing that would be there if each died and became a neat crystal of magicite for the Empire to use.

-We move through the door past the room of bones.

---

Next time: into the Magitek Research Facility.