Thursday, November 20, 2014

Nerd Fitness Academy - Corpse Run

The past few weeks, I've done nothing with regards to fitness.  I went back to binging on whatever, not exercising, eating mindlessly, etc.  Time to try again - with some adjustments.




I played two main MMORPGs: EverQuest and World of Warcraft.  I started playing WoW on its release day, immediately coming from EQ, and so I got to see some of its differences be more pronounced.

One such difference was what happened when you died shortly after leveling.  In EQ, you would un-level.  You'd lose experience and drop down to your prior level.  It was one of the most rage-inducing mechanics around.  WoW said "screw that mess."  If you died in WoW, you simply ran back to your body and pressed on. 

I could restart all my quests and reboot that way.  There's a certain appeal there.  But screw that.  That would be like un-leveling rather than like an actual fresh start, and I don't want that.

However, I will make some adjustments rather than going back to the same exact spot I left off.

-Reduce my quest-load.  A lot of these quests are bonuses, things I've added onto myself that aren't listed in the program's quest log.  They're still helpful, but they're not core, and I want to focus on the basics this time.

-Eat fewer times per day.  Three meals plus a snack or two rather than regular grazing.  I think that mentally eating fewer times per day will help reduce the annoyance of calorie-counting, and will help build the discipline of managing hunger in the long run.

-Plan next day's meals.  I want to put myself in a position to do well, and that means having a plan I can follow each day.  I don't have to follow it, but I'm more likely to eat mindfully and stick to my calorie count if I don't have to do those calculations on the day of.