Tuesday, November 4, 2014

FFVI – Part 7: Vargas and I

Summary: We climb Mt. Kolts. Near the top we meet both Vargas (and his bear minions??) and Sabin. Vargas beats us, then Sabin beats Vargas and joins us on our continued path.


Mt. Kolts

-Very bouncy music up here!

-The monster names in this game feel much more unintuitive. Maybe it’s a language thing or a culture thing, or maybe they decided to go with a different style just cause.

For instance, monk enemies, called “Ironfists” in FFV, are here called “Zaghrem,” the birds are “Cirpius,” woolly mammoth types are called “Gorgias.”

-Like… well, like pretty much each other place I’ve been to in FFVI, this place is rife with hidden alcoves.


Note to self: check EVERYWHERE.

Found Gigas Glove., to increase strength. Does that help Edgar’s “Tools” damage? My guess is probably not, that Gigas Glove only boosts basic attacks, but dunno.

-A mysterious shadow (though probably not the mysterious Shadow) keeps running ahead of us and darting away.

-I like the cloud effect on these mountains.

-BY THE BRINY BEARD OF NEPTUNE! Poison is now a temporary effect that ends during combat? You have no idea how happy this makes me. I’ve been begging for this since I reached the Marsh Cave in Final Fantasy I and had to slug back antidote after antidote.

-Random bare-chested grey-haired dude sighting. Not Sabin.

-It’s Vargas. He thinks Sabin sent us. He drop kicks us, threatens us, and it’s boss time!


Proud graduate of the Exdeath School of Dramatic Villains, class of ’94.

-Vargas is the boss with his… two pet bears??



They’re called “Ipooh.” I struggle with my inner 12 year old in a battle to not make a joke here, and temporarily win.

-We beat the bears – you might even say “I poo’d” all over them (DAMMIT INNER 12 YEAR OLD) – and it’s onto Vargas himself.

-He threatens to send us “to the great beyond!” Well, it’s more threatening than him threatening to knock us all down.

-SABIN TO THE RESCUE!

-Oh shit, Vargas killed “Master Duncan!” Sabin’s here to avenge his death. This is some Elle Driver/Beatrix Kiddo bullshit right here.



-This makes my new nickname for Sabin "Beatrix."

-Vargas killed Duncan (his father) because he thought Duncan chose Sabin to be his successor and snubbed Vargas. Sabin denies this, and says Duncan explicitly chose Vargas, that he always said Vargas had more potential. Ow for both of them.

-Vargas uses “Blizzard Fists” to knock all of us out of the fight… all of us, that is, EXCEPT SABIN, who withstands the gusting winds.

-Sabin time.

-I tried using his “Blitz,” but nothing happened. “Incorrect input.” Um. Ok.

-Vargas keeps saying I’m “holding back.” Hm.

-OHO!! BLITZ HAS A CODE I HAVE TO USE!

-By the way, the music has been going into absolute overdrive since Sabin showed up. In terms of style/feel, it reminds me of Gilgamesh’s theme a bit.

-Blitz attempt#1: Fail. (I did right-left-right rather than left-right-left.)

-Blitz attempt #2: success! “RAAAAAGING FIST”!


Fists of fury!

It killed Vargas, surprising him that Master Duncan taught the technique to Sabin.

This just keeps getting more and more “Kill Bill”-ier. If I don’t eventually learn a Blitz input for “Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique,” I’ll be disappointed.

-Brotherly reunion. Hurray!

-LOL TERRA THOUGHT SABIN WAS A BEAR. I guess Sabin’s built.


I instinctively trust characters who can poke fun at themselves.

-Sabin’s down with the Returners and Edgar is all in, so it’s time to team up.

-Does Gigas Glove affect Blitz techniques? I imagine the answer is the same as the “Tools” answer, but not sure of that either.

-“Raging Fist” hits like a TRUCK.

-Off the mountain.

---

Next time: east of Mt. Kolts.