Friday, November 28, 2014

FFVI – Part 28: Albrook and Tzen

Summary: We land on the south continent and begin to explore. Albrook first and then Tzen, with a quick stop in between at an Imperial Observation Post to the east.


Airship

-Hee! Locke calls the ship a “clunky thing.

-Oh Christ. More gambling metaphors from Setzer.



To be honest, I’m glad that there’s at least one member of my party who I want to punch.

-They’ll land the ship far from the Empire’s city and walk there on foot to avoid being seen.


Roger, Roger. Approaching Vector, Victor.

-I love this camera angle as we approach the Imperial capitol and see it growing on the horizon, spotlights rising from below.

---

Albrook

-Kind of sad music. Very “we’re occupied and it sucks.”

-Two “Ultima weapons” were used during the War of the Magi. One was a sword and one a monster. My guess for the monster is that it’s the Ultima monster we first saw back in FFII: Rebirth of Souls. It could also be Omega or something new, but my guess is Ultima.

-Tzen (north) and Maranda (west) have excellent armor and weapons.

-Emperor Gestahl commissioned a painting from a guy here. Did he paint the art in Owzer’s Mansion?

-Monsters on this continent are especially vulnerable to magic.

-The pub music is ridiculous.

-The soldiers here actually wolf-whistle at me if I talk to them.

-This whole town feels very “1941 Paris.”


The occupied city of Albrook.

-Albrook citizens are really not happy with the occupation.

-There’s something important on the eastern edge of the continent that the Empire’s guarding.

Ok, personal theory time. We’re approaching the Imperial capitol, and there’s no way the game’s about to end. I think we’ll reach the capitol, free some espers, and confront Gestahl. He’ll escape, break through the gate to the esper world, and go all super saiyan somehow. The second half of the game will then take place in the esper world.

-Time to leave.

---

Imperial Observation Post

-I head east to check out what the Empire’s guarding.

-Full of soldiers. I won a fight, but even after winning I got kicked out.



The goal seems to be non-combat, sneaking around.

-I’ll come back later.

---

Overworld

-Some enemies in the overworld that we’ve seen before, but Jokers are new. They actually attack me with their parasols. Kefka’s henchmen I’m guessing.

-Magic attacks really do work well here.

---

Tzen

-The Tzen royal family was killed by the Empire. Dang.

-OH SHIT, the youth of Tzen were impressed into the Imperial military.


The occupied city of Tzen.

-The buildings in Tzen have suffered noticeable damage. Nice touch.

-The Empire has a powerful but immobile weapon called the Guardian. We’re warned to run if we see it.

-There’s a huge gate inside a cave on the eastern edge of the continent. Hm. I thought this would be the gate to the esper world, but the glance we got of it made it seem that the esper cave was atop a mountain, not in a cave.

-A kid in town is playing, and his mother is worried. What interests me here is that the mother is stationary, looking worriedly outside her door. I wonder if I could get the mom to see the kid, whether she’d go away, letting me get inside the building she’s blocking.

-I don’t like that you can’t see what a relic does before you have enough gil to purchase it. One of the few mechanical things I dislike about FFVI. Perhaps it’s a limitation of the mobile GBA version? Dunno.

---

Next time: more exploration on the south continent.