Tuesday, December 2, 2014

FFVI – Part 33: Lone Wolf Howls Again

Summary: Terra wakes up and joins us. We regroup in Narshe. Blah blah blah Empire, blah blah blah massive war where we need the espers on our side, blah blah blah. Fine. What truly matters is that Lone Wolf returns to piss me off, and escapes. Grr.
 

Zozo

-When we come back from the flashback, Terra’s back in human form. She can control her esper power in short bursts. I wonder if this will be a combat mechanic.

-Locke reminds us that Celes’s powers come from one of the dead espers in that flashback. Thanks for that, Specia Agent Sunshine.


Something tells me you’ll get your chance, Sabin.

-Next step: check in with Narshe.

---

Airship

-We get a tutorial on using the airship. This is quite a bit more complicated than in prior games.

---

Narshe

-Yay! Narshe joined the Returners fully. We relay recent happenings to Banon.

-Not enough troops to storm the Empire directly. Banon wants to open the sealed gate. Really? That sounds like a terrible idea offhand.

-The gate is east of the Empire. (I knew it!) Banon wants to get the espers to attack from the east while the Returners attack from the north. Seems risky.

-Banon at least acknowledges that the plan requires trust be rebuilt between espers and humans. Not a small task.

-Of course! Terra will be ambassador.



After all, she’s literal proof that human/esper coexistence is possible.

-Back to wandering around town.

-Someone else confirms that a yeti lives in the mines.

-Let’s try a new party configuration: Terra, Gau, Edgar – I really want to try Chainsaw – and Setzer. I’m so so so happy that the playable characters who aren’t in our party at a given time level up off-screen to scale with us. Like, ridiculously happy.

-WHAT

-WHAT



-WHATWHATWHAT



-LONE WOLF IS FREE. SIGHTED IN TOWN. THIS IS THE WORST DEVELOPMENT EVER.

When I die, I want to be cremated, but still have an empty coffin go into the ground. Well, almost empty. There will be a note inside for any potential grave robbers that says, “Lone Wolf the pickpocket was here.”

-I go into the old man’s house with the locked treasure chest and catch Lone Wolf in the act of stealing it.



He runs. I chase him through town, but he escapes. DAMMIT LONE WOLF.

GRARHJKLFHJKLS

-Hey FFVI, no need to reinforce existing gender norms.



If Sabin (one of my best magic-users) wants to wear a tiara, let him!

-So pissed about losing track of Lone Wolf. He went west. Gonna see if I can track that bastard down in the mines before he can steal even more random treasure from me. Or at least maybe I’ll see the yeti.

---

Narshe Mines

-The same weak enemies as at the start of the game are here, so I doubt I’m actually supposed to be here now.

-At least I get the chance to test some new combat stuff. Slot’s pretty confusing, but I’m sure it’ll make more sense with some experience. Chainsaw’s wonderful.

-Terra has a new ability, Trance, that’s greyed out. Hm.

-Even the moogle area has neither yeti nor wolf. Let’s leave.

---

Next time: I know the next story part is to sneak past that Imperial outpost into the eastern part of the southern continent, but I have an airship! Whatever, I do what I want. And I want next to head over to the Veldt to see if Gau can get any new monster abilities.