Tuesday, December 30, 2014

FFVI – Part 59: Hold On Loosely

Summary: We take out the first legendary dragon, the Earth Dragon, in the Opera House. Onto Zozo and Mt. Zozo. We track down the false letter-writer, a repentant Cyan. He joins us, and we then kill the second dragon, the Storm Dragon.


Opera House

-I know I should go find Cyan where the pigeon flew, but I want to explore and the Opera House is in my way. SRY NOT SRY

-There’s an opera going on. We’re told to talk to the Impresario.

-AND HE SAYS THERE’S A DRAGON ON STAGE. Um. Yeah, that’s a problem. I woner if it’s one of the eight legendary dragons. If so, I’ll probably get my ass handed to me.

-Stagehand: “Don’t touch the wrong switch or you’ll be in for a surprise!” Probably not confetti. Next step, of course is to push ALL the switches.

#1) A dog barks. Hm.
#2) All the lights in the opera go out. Lol.



#3) A trap door opens beneath my feet, hurling me on stage.

She is (what I assume to be) a legendary dragon. “Earth Dragon.” I actually do okay against her for a first try. Much better than I did against Gigantuar. She casts Quake and Landslide, so maybe having everyone Float will help.



Let’s try once more, and then I’ll come back if I lose again once I collect more party members.

Attempt #2: VICTORY HAHAHA YESSSS

Adjusted my relics and strategy. Cast float on my party at the outset to dodge her Quake. It helped at first, but then she cast “50 Gs,” which grounded me. Still, was able to stay healed up. Edgar started out with Debilitator, which made the Earth Dragon weak to fire. Then it was Chainsaw, Sabin’s Rising Phoenix blitz, and a mix of Fira and heals.

Yay! One down, seven to go. Got a “Magus Rod.”

-I gotta say though that I was a bit disappointed that there was no real story or set-up or anything with this dragon. She was just… in the opera? Why? They did such a great job with using the opera the first time around. Here, it was just random.

It’s not terrible, and I enjoyed the puzzle of figuring out how to beat it. I just wish they explained a bit with the story. Maybe that comes later though.

---

Zozo

-I skip Jidoor for now. I really want Relm with me, since I can feel deep in my bones that there’s something between her and the paintings. I go to the town where the pigeon flew.

-Crap. It wasn’t Kohlingen. It’s Zozo.

-And it has the same monsters as in the first world? Not a good sign. A sign that I am not meant to be here. And yet, there’s a pigeon. I talk to it, and it flies to the top of a building. I guess this actually IS the place.

-A door up top is rusted shut, but I’m pretty sure it was the first time around as well.

-Nothing new in the inn. I’m keeping an eye out for the person who tells the truth.


This is not the one truth-teller in Zozo.

-Someone tells me that if I climb to the top of the Pub building, I can get to Mt. Zozo. I was just up there though and didn’t see any mountain. He also says the monsters there are quick, and I should make sure I can hit them. This must mean they have high evade. This sounds too specific to be a lie.

-Ooh, he gives me “Rust-Rid.”

-He recommends the Sniper relic. I only have one auto-attacker at the moment, so maybe I’ll try just equipping Celes with it and seeing how the combat goes. If need be, I’ll leave, get more Sniper Eyes, and come back.

-Actually, screw it. I’ll get more now.

-Eesh. That took a while. Had to stop by like 4-5 different towns before I finally found them sold in Tzen. I go back, and the rust dissolver works.

---

Mt. Zozo

-New monster here, a Glasya Labolas. Haven’t seen you since FFII. Where you KILLED ME SO MANY TIMES.

-Got a bunch of shields, and a Gold Hairpin. Lone Wolf, what once was briefly yours is now mine.

-Setzer, you’re a fine character, but you feel like dead weight compared to the others, and I’m swapping you out first chance I get.

-CREEPY. I found a mountain lair with those flowers and a letter.

-A letter on Creepy Creeperson’s desk actually admits to the lie. I assume it’s Cyan. Why was he doing this? Not amnesia. He signs the letter Cyan.



It’s a beautifully-written apology.

-Cyan’s at the top of the mountain with a pigeon. His musical theme sweeps in. I really enjoy it. Fits him so well (like most of the character themes).



-He’s eager and willing to join us, and delighted to find that we “art alive,” but freaks out when he figures we saw his letters. He runs into his Creeper Lair and starts cleaning up all the flowers, hiding them. Horse has left the barn, dude.

-Oh no! He’s embarrassed that his hobby is making these flowers, but Edgar says they’re beautiful. I love seeing skill validated.

-Cyan had visited Maranda. He saw that Lola kept sending letters but receiving no replies. So he sent replies in place of the dead boyfriend. That’s so far beyond appropriate, but I see now that he was trying to help her live in the past, just as he himself didn’t want to move on with his life.

-Cyan saw “Sir Gau” in Maranda, who is currently training to kick Kefka’s ass. Woo hoo! He’s no doubt on the Veldt.

-We open Cyan’s locked chest. He has a collection of books that are basically “Machines for Dummies,” and… LOLOLOL “BUSHIDO IN THE BEDROOM.” Cyan, never change.

-Found one more chest on the way back down. Guess who popped out!


Storm Dragon.

Legendary Dragon #2: the Storm Dragon. We take care of business in one shot. It uses some aoe wind damage on us, but nothing too tough. We heal up, Edgar’s Debilitator opens it up to holy damage, and Sabin’s Aura Bolt goes to work. Victory!

-Reward is “Force Armor,” which halves some elemental damage. Two down, six to go. We teleport out of Zozo.

---

Next stop: the Veldt to find Sir Gau.