Saturday, December 6, 2014

FFVI – Part 36: Dances with Wolves

Summary: Pursued Lone Wolf into the Narshe Mines. Found him holding a moogle hostage. Lone Wolf escaped, but I got a new party member in Mog.


Narshe Mines

-Chasing him deep into a part of the mines I’ve never seen except for the very beginning of the game.

-I SAW THE YETI!



She keeps poking her head out of this little mini cave outside.

-Now we’re pretty high up above the mines, and see LW on a bridge.

-Wow. He can’t sink any lower. He’s taken a moogle hostage.



What’s wrong, Lone Wolf? Were you unable to find puppies, kittens, or rainbows to take hostage?

-No choice but to retreat. Literally. I keep getting blocked from charging him.

-Tried going back across the bridge, but nothing changes.

-Hm.

-Oh, ok. I just waited a bit. Then the moogle started spinning/dancing (dancing I think) and both the moogle and LW got knocked back, to the point that they’re each hanging onto the cliff for dear life.


Free yourself through dance. Literally

-This seems to be one of those choice moments. LW mentions something about me never taking his Gold Hairpin, which I assume is the treasure I’d get if I go to him.

The other choice is to go to the moogle. I’m greedy and I hate LW to be sure, but I haven’t turned into Ahab just yet.

I go to the moogle.

-WHAT

-THE

-FUCK

-THE MOOGLE IS PLAYABLE. WE GET A CHARACTER INTRO SCREEN


Mog.

-And he speaks human! Ramuh’s spirit told him to help us and taught him to speak. If he doesn’t continue to pepper in “Kupo” and “Kupopo” with the rest of his dialogue, I’ll be a bit sad.


Mog has the best portrait ever.

-LW jumped off the cliff. Hopefully to a messy death, but I doubt it. I still feel like I made the right choice.

-Mog goes to wait in the airship.

-The Frozen chicken esper is still up here, but I can’t interact with it.

-Nothing else in the cave except for a dead end where I fought the game’s first boss.

---

The Blackjack

-Got Mog in my party. LOLOL – his magic/ability is “Dance.” This is just like the epic story of “Footloose,” but starring a moogle instead of Kevin Bacon. He starts with Twilight Requiem. Let’s test it.

-For this test, I head for random combat just outside the airship.

-TWILIGHT REQUIEM TURNED THE GRASSLAND SETTING INTO A CAVE!! That’s ridiculously cool.

-It seems to work like Gau’s Rage in two ways: 1) it remains active for the entire fight; and 2) each turn, Mog randomly chooses from a selection of actions that that specific Dance grants.

-Twilight Requiem seems to provide three abilities. Will o the Wisp (MASSIVE single-target damage), Cave In (low group damage), or Snare (instant single-target kill with probably a high failure rate).

-Let’s try for a reunion with his moogly friends.

---

Narshe Mines

-Twilight Requiem also lets him cast Poisonous Frog.

-Mog has a ginormous amount of HP.

-Whoa! So that’s what Terra’s Trance does. When I use it, her spells hit like a truck for a short period of time. Not sure what makes it go grey or un-grey.

-No special interaction with Mog and his friends in the moogle cave.

-Mog does a weird pre-fight dance.



Not sure what’s up with that.

---

Next time: Town to town. Two lane roads. The family biz. Two huntin’ bros. We’re going to Figaro.