Sunday, December 21, 2014

FFVI – Part 50: Air Force

Summary: We fight our way past the Imperial air force, not to mention Ultros and his new bestie, onto the Floating Continent. Shadow rejoins us for about six seconds. We push through the labyrinthine Continent, past Ultima.


The Blackjack

-Ok, to the Floating Continent!

-I need a party of… 3? Will I get a new party member up there?

-Going to take Edgar, Gau, and Relm.

-The Imperial air force is attacking! Wait, I thought the Blackjack was the world world’s only airship.

-Ah, it is. Their air force is made of flying magitek armor suits.

-Gau’s Guard Leader rage, Wind Slash, wreaks havoc up against these flying magitek suits.

-“Something strange up ahead…”

-REALLY?



-Yeah. It’s our old friend, Uncle Ulty. I don’t know how he got up here, but I don’t know how he got onto the opera rafters either. Probably best not to ask these things.

-Behind him is a pink dude that looks like Slimer.

-ULTROS: “No, really! This is our last battle! Honest!” lol

--We wipe him out easily with Fira before he gets to attack. Then he introduces his pink buddy, Typhon.


BFFs.

TYPHON: “FUUUNGAAAH!” Hi! Fungah to you, too.

-WTF – he “Snorted” all of us out of existence! Did we not beat a timer?

-Oh, it was scripted. Now we’re falling off the ship.

---

Freeeeefaaaaaaalling!!

-We now face a three-part boss literally named “Airforce.”



While we’re falling.

-First the Phantom Train, now this. The game really has confidence in our party to fight well at high speeds.

-NO! Not a countdown! Hate these timers.

-Phew. Victory with the timer at 2.

-We land on the Floating Continent.

---

Floating Continent

-I like the music here. Grandly anticipatory.

-SHADOW?

-Apparently, the Empire paid for his services and then tried to kill him. What a shocker.

-He wants me to just leave him here. Wtf. Just join us. He does.

-The random enemies here are nasty. The Ninjas cast heavy aoe damage spells and then go stealth.

-Got Sasuke and Murasame. Wow. Those feel like end-game weapons.

-Shadow with Genji Glove is an absolute beast.

-Teleporters. It’s one of THOSE dungeons.

-Again, I’m really surprised by how “end-game” this place feels.



A variety of nasty spell-casting monsters…



…including frigging Behemoths! Plus, epic-sounding weapons guarded by heavy-hitters.

-Relm’s Sketch is really hit or miss. Actually, it’s usually miss or miss slightly less. Even when she Sketches Behemoth and gets Meteor, it doesn’t hit that hard.

-Gau’s damage is strong, but I like him even better as a healer. Using the “General” rage for free Cura works great in this group, and frees Relm to go on the offensive.

-I’m so lost.

-Wish I brought Strago with me. I’ve seen Level 5 Death and Level 4 Flare cast, which I’m reasonably sure are both blue spells.

-We get a chance to return to the airship for a party swap I guess, but I think I’m near the end (just saw a save point), so I’ll stick with this group.

-Boss blocking the way. Ultima Weapon!



Good to see you again, buddy. What is this, our third meeting since I started Final Fantasy?

-ULTIMA: “I do not bleed, but I am strength given form.” It shows. He’s a tough fight. Flare and Graviga especially are nasty.

-Victory!

-Shadow says he has no right to fight at our side. On one hand, it’s kind of cool to see this character who said he killed his emotions actually feel an emotion: shame, at having “sold out.” On the other hand, STOP LEAVING OUR PARTY DAMMIT HE LEFT.

-Kefka up ahead.

---

Next time: We see what happens with Kefka, Gestahl, and the Warring Triad.